Boston Time Capsule - Wheres the detailed info on the coins ? Anybody ?

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boston Time Capsule - Where's the detailed info on the coins ? Anybody ?

After all this time I still haven't found an inventory of what coins were discovered in the time capsule ?? if anyone
knows of a good link with close up photo's and info I'd appreciate it - I'm frustrated with how vague the media
reporting has been on this .

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From one thing I read the coins were not in the time capsule but buried on top of it, or at least on top of the original leather pouch. It said this was done for good luck.

OP
OP
A

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought this thread might be of interest to quite a number us , (apparently not )- Thanks for your reply , there were some later coins
(mid 19th century) thrown into the mortar holding the box in place is what I read , but there were actually a number of coins dating
to the time capsules original placement inside the box along with the engraved silver plate ,news paper etc.

OP
OP
A

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
David , I've been actively looking at anything about this - none of the online articles seem to mention specific coins - there is
a well publicized photo of a 1652 Pine tree shilling (I think ) but what about all the other coins alluded to (vaguely )
Please correct me if I'm wrong , better yet provide us all a link to the photo's/ info . thanks for your reply !

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks davidtn. Great read.
I'm pleased coins were still in capsule after initial opening. A "tree" coin to boot!
The silver plaque is impressive.
Peace ✌

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who was responsible for the items? I would have offered to swap some nice new shiny clad quarters for those old obsolete coins for reburial, then it would be 100 years before the swap became apparent, and people of the future could enjoy those unusual metal discs that were used as money before everything went to online digital crypto currency. OOps, calling Sherlock Holmes...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread