What's new

Bottom of Death Pot

eastTNJoe

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2013
Messages
546
Reaction score
616
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jon Stewart asked that I help him with uploading pictures. He will add the information that goes with them soon. Here they are: IMG_0022.webpIMG_0023.webpIMG_0024.webpIMG_0025.webpIMG_0026.webpIMG_0027.webpIMG_0028.webpIMG_0029.webpIMG_0030.webpIMG_0031.webp
 
Upvote 0
That is some real nice stuff Jon and that does look like a spider:notworthy:
 
I thought I replied on this once but it must not have went thru. Try again. 1. Bottom of a pot per the curator of the museum in Deming. 2.Assorted pottery sherds. 3. clovis point. 4.funy looking rock 5.assorted points, beads, choppers and a couple of celts. .In the last frame (larger on the bottom right) in the upper right corner is a square tan colored abrader. To the left of that is a is a old piece of glass that has a flintknapped edge on it. Not sure what the story is on that but thought it was interesting to find it on the desert out in the middle of no where.
 
Last edited:
1. Not all Mimbres vessels (figural or geometric) were even used an interment vessels...I'm not sure where he is drawing the "death pot" from.
2. Unless found in direct context with other Mogollon / Mimbres vessels (there are actually very few sites that are true Mimbres), it would be hard to ascertain this.
3. Could we see closer pics?
4. There is no such thing as "Moccasin last", this idea is long outdated.
 
1. Not all Mimbres vessels (figural or geometric) were even used an interment vessels...I'm not sure where he is drawing the "death pot" from. 2. Unless found in direct context with other Mogollon / Mimbres vessels (there are actually very few sites that are true Mimbres), it would be hard to ascertain this. 3. Could we see closer pics? 4. There is no such thing as "Moccasin last", this idea is long outdated.

but it could be some sort of mano
 
My post has been edited . Neaderthal has much more knowledge about my items than I do and I certainly don't want to misrepresent something that I found.
 
Them are some real nice finds.
One thing I have noticed for seeing pictures closer, after you click on a picture you can click on it twice more, and it shows things close. Then if you want, you can click on it and move the cursor over and click it to enlarge again.
 
Try rotating the image of the "spider" 180 degrees, from that view point, I see a scorpion.
 
Last edited:
It has 6 legs.. well.. I guess those could be two legs sticking straight down.
Interesting pottery chard
 
Last edited:
Are those personal finds of yours Jon Stewart? If so, I'm jealous. I love southwestern stuff.

Here are some of the Mimbres vessels that we have on display in the museum. You may have seen some of them before, they've been published quite a bit. All of these have been "killed". I have theories as to why some Mimbres vessels are killed and others aren't.
 

Attachments

  • mimbres.webp
    mimbres.webp
    34.5 KB · Views: 103
  • mimbres1.webp
    mimbres1.webp
    24.3 KB · Views: 99
  • mimbres2.webp
    mimbres2.webp
    35.3 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
More.
 

Attachments

  • mimbres3.webp
    mimbres3.webp
    38 KB · Views: 102
Nice looking collection Jon. Glad to finally see it.
 
Are those personal finds of yours Jon Stewart? If so, I'm jealous. I love southwestern stuff. Here are some of the Mimbres vessels that we have on display in the museum. You may have seen some of them before, they've been published quite a bit. All of these have been "killed". I have theories as to why some Mimbres vessels are killed and others aren't.
Off center holes are probes Matt?
 
Last edited:
Off center holes are probes Matt?

Sorry for the late reply, I just now noticed this.

I don't think they are probes, but some could be. After going through several authentic Mimbres pots, something has struck me about certain ones that weren't "killed". Some of them are flawed and may not have been up-to-snuff, while others had a form that weren't conducive for it. I'll show you a few examples of what I mean.

This small vessel is from Eby Ruin, Grants, NM. It's a stellar Mimbres figural vessel that has been published quite a bit (you've probably seen in before). It's part of the UofA collection that we have on display. The odd thing about this vessel is the form. It's small, around 4" in diameter, but the walls on it are very high. In fact, they are just high enough that it really couldn't fit well over a human skull, not even a child (without problems at least). I've always wondered if the height of it wasn't an oversight...dunno.

1mimbres2.webp

This next one is from the Perrault site, Grant, NM. This is a large geometric piece. Another well-known UofA Mimbres vessel. It was only after close scrutiny that I noticed something unusual about it - the rim was salvaged. It most likely broke on them during the firing process. The rim area on it was ground down and repainted after breaking. I think that could be why they didn't use it in a ceremonious fashion, it may not have been "worthy".

1mimbres.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom