Bounty Hunter Lone Star Mods

p0lel0ck

Nov 13, 2013
S. Illinois
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello, I'm New here & Kinda New To Detecting.
I plan on doing a bit of detecting in My spare time,
I purchased a Bounty Hunter LONE STAR tracker 4 on the cheap.

Is there any Mods I can do (aside of buying a new detector)
To improve performance of this detector?
it has an 8 inch coil, and takes 2 9v Batteries.
The display is very basic.
I have found several coins, & a few pieces of Jewelry with it,
a few Hot Wheels,and this & that other Scrap.

I mainly Coin Shoot.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
would love to beep upon a GOLD coin er too!
I have a few old properties I have acquired
Permission to Detect.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I'm New here & Kinda New To Detecting.
I plan on doing a bit of detecting in My spare time.
I purchased a Bounty Hunter LONE STAR tracker 4 on the cheap.

Is there any Mods I can do (aside of buying a new detector) to improve performance of this detector?
No. You can't do much with the electronics. Even if you have experience with microcircuitry, it's going to be tough.
Depth is a function of the coils field size. You won't get much more than the same width of the coil itself - 8"
For most coin shooting that's adequate.

it has an 8 inch coil, and takes 2 9v Batteries.
The display is very basic.
I have found several coins, & a few pieces of Jewelry with it, a few Hot Wheels, and this & that other Scrap.

I mainly Coin Shoot.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
would love to beep upon a GOLD coin er too!
I have a few old properties I have acquired Permission to Detect.
It sounds like the Lone Star is doing what it should. The thing to do is accept it within it's limits. It is considered an "advanced" model, and there really is a lot going on.

TIP: Set the Discriminate to accept nickels, cover the display with electrical tape and focus on the tones - then recover targets. DIG! Don't be afraid to find trash; there is far more of it than goodies. Every handful of good finds has a pile of scrap behind it
- Play with the notch feature after you've hunted this way for 10 hours.
Don't waste time with it, though, unless you are finding A LOT of drink can tabs.

Your detector CANNOT find what isn't there, so WHERE you take it is far more important than the unit itself. So think about what and where. My first detector was an inexpensive model and I found lots of nice stuff... But I spent time thinking about WHERE and WHAT might be there.

PS gold coins are super RARE. Unless you KNOW where some
may have been lost, spend your time looking for gold jewelry... You'll find more of that than old coins. Go where concentrations of people might have been to lose it.

Last edited:

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is like the Land Star the weakest part of this detector is where the cable plugs into the body of the detector..Treat it gently...I thought of ways to change it out, but it was not worth the trouble...A little tape, and it works fine....

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having actually taken a few detectors apart to see what made them tick. My suggestion would be to buy coils for it if has that option, especially the small coil for parks and trash areas. Some of the older compass detectors could be modded, but not yours. I dont suggest taking your detector apart. The detectors are tested and tuned at the factory and most of that is trade secret stuff. If your detector is a bit shallow on targets, there could be several things to cause that. Coil Phase is one of them, banging the coil too many times on a rock can knock the glue loose inside the coil. Sounds like you got a good one. I would suggest practice swinging it over targets, then hit a park and just signal hunt. Coil Swing is very important to do it perfect every time. I have days I dont dig which is probably odd to some folks but I usually am trying something new with my machine. Battery type can also have a effect on your detector too. Cheap battery's work the best in my BH, but dont last very long. Take a Duracell, its a strong long charge, but you will get different results(minimal) at both ends of the charge cycle. Now rechargeable have a slow drain and much better imho for detectors and I cant notice any effect no matter if hot off the charger or a week old. GOLD, now this is a very good question. I find more gold in the city park than I do prospecting known gold areas. To be honest, if you want gold, get a gold detector. They can pay for themselves rather quickly. Terry and a few others can school you on a very simple but well built Tesero detector if money is a concern. The atp you hear about can hunt, and is also a inexpensive detector, this includes the atg, but not for gold. Look at my avatar and you will see what I use. Your best bet is to invite a friend with a good detector to hunt those propertys, but make sure they really are a good friend.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread