box full of rocks

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The cleavelandite is actually K feldspar.

Shale could be sandstone, hardness test!

Also not sure on the soapstone, hardness? Soapstone is rather soft.

Crazy lace jasper should be crazy lace agate, notice the banding.

Chrysocolla/Mica? I would lean towards malachite in a granitic matrix.

Good work!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
transcendental

transcendental

May 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks guys :)
I'll stick the smoky/flourite under the blacklight tonight, thought I did but can't remember.... kindof put half my collection under that thing lol

K feldspar fits perfect! Thanks!

Shale and sandstones would both be sedimentary rocks the differences between the two is shale is formed by compacting clay (fine grain) and sandstones are compacted sand (course grains) the cleavage are also a big differential shale tends to have a flaky slate-like cleavage where sandstone has no cleavage. Shale also has a hardness around 3 and my 1948 copper penny scratches it easily.

The soapstone is definitely soapstone. Has that greasy feel and extremely soft

I called the crazy lace a jasper not an agate because it has zero translucency, kindof key characteristic to being an agate. I scrutinized this one over a back light.

The green one , the matrix is some sort of silica. It has a hardness around 1.5-2... harder than the soap stone, 1948 copper penny scratched it easily. See attached photo, looks like sand imgur: the simple image sharer

The malachite seems more likely and it is found locally in sandstones ( found one on a shelf in my dining room- see third photo comparison) the one in question has a higer quartz content and hornblend (? The black mineral in granites.... There's another but can't think of the name) but I'm in CT if this thing is local the differences in matrix aren't necessarily a deal breaker.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
transcendental

transcendental

May 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Looked into sandstones found in Connecticut, thinking subarkose sandstone or micaceous sandstone. Both can be brittle depending on the cementation mineral

Upvote 0
OP
OP
transcendental

transcendental

May 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Seems you have the stones talking to you on all but one of those images.. The "Smokey Quartz" should be listed as Fluorite. All these rest are acceptable references.

Got impatient looks just like the smoky amethysts under the black light but could just be that it's longwave uv not shortwave .... but I'm definitely questioning it. Here's more pics it has a cubed end but I just attributed that to the fact smoky quarts is often irregular. Open to scrutiny lol

VFE1oeU.jpg

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks guys :)
I'll stick the smoky/flourite under the blacklight tonight, thought I did but can't remember.... kindof put half my collection under that thing lol

K feldspar fits perfect! Thanks!

Shale and sandstones would both be sedimentary rocks the differences between the two is shale is formed by compacting clay (fine grain) and sandstones are compacted sand (course grains) the cleavage are also a big differential shale tends to have a flaky slate-like cleavage where sandstone has no cleavage. Shale also has a hardness around 3 and my 1948 copper penny scratches it easily.

The soapstone is definitely soapstone. Has that greasy feel and extremely soft

I called the crazy lace a jasper not an agate because it has zero translucency, kindof key characteristic to being an agate. I scrutinized this one over a back light.

The green one , the matrix is some sort of silica. It has a hardness around 1.5-2... harder than the soap stone, 1948 copper penny scratched it easily. See attached photo, looks like sand imgur: the simple image sharer

The malachite seems more likely and it is found locally in sandstones ( found one on a shelf in my dining room- see third photo comparison) the one in question has a higer quartz content and hornblend (? The black mineral in granites.... There's another but can't think of the name) but I'm in CT if this thing is local the differences in matrix aren't necessarily a deal breaker.

You seem to have a lot of soft rocks in that box.

I was sceptic on the shale because from the picture there is no obvious cleavage that I could see.

I would check the banded areas with a flashlight. I bet they are translucent, jasper and agate can occur together.

i think you where looking for 'Biotite' as the black mica in granites.

regarding that smokey quartz, I do think that is quartz. Not fluorite. Fluorite has cleavage and is due to that easy to ID.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
transcendental

transcendental

May 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah they are mostly soft rocks, I got them from a woman who's husband was an earth science teacher. I'm pretty sure he used them in his classes for streak testing and scratch tests. There's a couple that have obvious marks from such tests.

The shale cleavage isn't extremely pronounced but it's there ( attaching photo)
RDMAmML.jpg

I checked that crazy lace really carefully with a super bright mini flashlight. Absolutely no translucency.

Yup biotite was it, knew it started with "b" but didn't feel like googling it ( side note: my phones auto correct wanted to change biotite to bootie lol)

Thanks for confirming the smoky

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread