using tile cutter wet saw for slabbing petrified wood?

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It works for sure. Just go slow and don't cut to large stones on it. I mean go slow as in letting the saw do the cutting without pushing it to hard.

Oh and do use plenty of water!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Yay! but what is too big EU?
Oh & I hope my pudgy little hands aren't too offensive.; )

Attachments

• 032.JPG
    032.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 365
  • 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 382
Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I just started using my 10" tile saw for experimenting cutting. Keeping a rock stable seems to be the largest challenge. Use a rock vise if needed for straighter cuts. They are fairly cheap as are thin kerf blades. I started to break the surface tension of the water with some dish washer rinse. It makes water wetter.
You won't damage the saw. Any thing large is better done with a slab saw though. There is a place in town that has an 18" oil saw and I hear it's not too expensive for slab cuts.
A lot of rocks are as hard as a rock.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Hvacker. I live in SE MO. have been trying to find someone that could cut it for me, but so far no luck. Will try the smaller piece with tile saw.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to chime in with about the same thing Hacker said:

Tile saw with a thin blade and recirculating water system. About the only other thing you'll need is some sort of vise to anchor the piece in place. You will probably have figured it out however do use a blade large enough to do the job :) A lot of tile saws have a spring that snaps the blade back to upright after a cut so unless you want to hold the saw the whole time you can rig a weight to the handle that is just heavy enough to apply a light amount of force to the blade and let the machine drop thru the work. Just be careful and wear eye protection :)

Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Google "vice to hold rocks for slabbing" will come up with some clever home made devices that will keep your fingers safer.
One guy glues the rock to a board. OK.

Upvote 0

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sure is a pretty hunk you have there mamabear....why are you cutting it & be careful...wear goggles!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Kat there are some amazing striations on the piece that broke off. I normally would leave it rough, but this piece will look dynamite when cut. I'd love to do a cab, but I think slabbing would show more of the beauty of the stone.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use the water threwn off the blade as a guide for if I'm cutting straight. How large is to large depends on your saw.
A 10" is about fist sized ok, the rock shouldn't be higher then the blades height over the sawing table.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
EU do I need to be aware of weakness in the striations? It looks like they are of different material. It's all new to me. I have always kept the material rough. I wish I could get a better pic of the piece. but here are a few more shots.

Attachments

• 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 276
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 212
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 213
  • 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 238
Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just try cutting it and see. You'll know if they are weaker then the rest when the rock hits the blade.
It is often a good idea to use eye protection, though.

Upvote 0

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pretty sure that's petrified wood, same colors as what I find in AZ. you may find pockets of crystals, so go carefully. the striations are the wood pattern - are you going to cut across the grain or with it? (I'm hoping to start cutting soon, right now we're in collecting and waiting for retirement mode.)

Upvote 0

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't wait to see how it turns out mamabear....exciting! And good luck cutting it!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread