What's new

Box of Pennies = 2 Full roll of Wheats

Shake-N-Bake

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
647
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Hello everyone,
As posted yesterday I never have searched pennies before. I bought $16 yesterday and got 13 keepers.
Today I returned to my normal bank and got $25 worth of pennies. As I was waiting for the teller to cross out personal info on the rolls she mentioned how she had a full roll of wheats open up in her drawer. I didn't think much of it.
Then I went home and started searching. It was starting a little slow 1 about every 4 rolls, then I hit the WHEAT FIELDS. And boy was it a good crop season. I opened a roll and straight wheats came out. Mostly 40's and 50's but it is still sweet. Then I hit a roll with 4 in it(one was a 1909 and also a 1909S) ;D I was floored. And then the next roll was straight wheats again, all 40's and 50's again, it was the same package as the last straight roll.
After seeing two rolls straight wheats I got to thinking, maybe an older person rolled up some change and cashed in. So I called the teller that helped me and asked if she remembered who brought in the rolls of pennies, she said a very old woman cashed in about $300 worth of change mostly quarters. Wahoo, I am going back tommorow to get some more and hopefully get some silver.

All in all total was 137 wheats from $25 worth of pennies. I must say the value isnt as high as silver but it feels great to see all the keepers.

Happy Hunting,
Jason
 
Upvote 0
That is crazy... and a 1909... AND 1909S... dream pennies!

Hope you make out well with the quarters if they still have any.

Grats on those pennies!

~Dave
 
Thanks for the comment. YES, the 1909's was a shock to find them, and no matter how hard I looked I could not find VDB on the back of the 1909S 8)

So as it stands I will keep searching pennies.

And hopefully hit the mother load on the Quarters tom.

HH,
Jason
 
That 09s is still worth 3 or 4 boxes of pennies, maybe more, depending on the grade. You rotten little devil!!
 
****UPDATE****

Hey everyone,
I went back to the bank today to get the quarters the teller told me about and grab some more pennies. All that was there for Quarters from the older person that I got the two straight wheat rolls from was $130(13 rolls of quarters). So I grabbed them. I thought I hit the mother load. First roll I opened had six silver (1959x2, 1962x1, 1964x3). I figured at this pace it would be a great day. Well then reality set in, next 8 rolls skunks.
I finished up the day with 9 silver quarters out of $130, which I think is great but was kinda expecting more with the great start on the first roll and the wheats yesterday.
I also got the last $20 of pennies that the bank had and pulled 12 wheats out of it and a couple of 1960's in AU condition with still full red.
I will probably take tomorow off and get back on it Thursday.

Happy Hunting,
Jason
 
You did hit the quarter motherload.
6 is awsome - nice job on the wheats as well- did you ask for dimes????
 
thanks for the comments eveyone. Yes six I thought was a great hit. I have been regularly searching dimes and nickels there with not much luck. Avaraging about 1 dime for every $300.
I will be hitting this bank alot as there is a lot of older customers.

Happy Hunting,
Jason
 
Nice work on the silver!

Can't go wrong finding that many considering how rare they are in the wild these days. Though naturally I understand you wanted a mother load. =) Don't we all? ;)

Grats again!

~Dave
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom