Hello,
I am new to the board and finally bought a digital camera. I have found several "What's it"s over the years and this I am most curious about. Found it at an old cellar hole sight in the woods near Annapolis, Maryland. Sight was very old with numerous clay pipe stems, colonial shoe buckles, etc.
It appears to have a center horn flanked by two ships with a drum at the bottom. The ships may have words on banners at the bottom, but too illegible to make out. It appears to have been painted at one time, some red? Maybe corrosion.
Shank is approx 1 1/2" long and the hole is drilled at an angle.
Any ideas?
Chris
I am new to the board and finally bought a digital camera. I have found several "What's it"s over the years and this I am most curious about. Found it at an old cellar hole sight in the woods near Annapolis, Maryland. Sight was very old with numerous clay pipe stems, colonial shoe buckles, etc.
It appears to have a center horn flanked by two ships with a drum at the bottom. The ships may have words on banners at the bottom, but too illegible to make out. It appears to have been painted at one time, some red? Maybe corrosion.
Shank is approx 1 1/2" long and the hole is drilled at an angle.
Any ideas?
Chris

I have seen some long shanks on buttons before but never one this long,i wonder if it may have been made like this to fasten to a drum or something else. Longest shaft on a button i have seen....I think its rev war drum hardware..







