What's new

Brass ID

ALABEAR

Full Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2005
Messages
182
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Bridgeport, Alabama
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD and some TESORO'S
Dug this one today where I have been finding Civil War relics. Anyone know what it might be? Thanks
 

Attachments

  • a.webp
    a.webp
    39 KB · Views: 508
  • b.webp
    b.webp
    41.5 KB · Views: 501
  • c.webp
    c.webp
    24.1 KB · Views: 498
I was gonna make a smart remark that it was the first knee pad for a detectorist but it failed because you had to drive nails through the holes to keep it on. But I won't. Dang! I did! :wink:
Seriously, it looks like it was used as some kind of a protective cover for equipment of some kind. I have studied the CW quite a bit as of late, but unfortunately I have not studied their equipment. Thanks for allowing me to show my ignorance. Monty
 
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • knight.webp
    knight.webp
    9.4 KB · Views: 392
  • knee armor.webp
    knee armor.webp
    3.4 KB · Views: 382
Upvote 0
Continuing with the theme, this modern Knight - note the armour and the sword

cricketer.webp

indicates where he thinks ALABEAR's awesome find, was properly worn. ;D
Mike
 
Upvote 0
trikikiwi said:
Continuing with the theme, this modern Knight - note the armour and the sword



indicates where he thinks ALABEAR's awesome find, was properly worn. ;D
Mike
lol I think you got it... an antique cup.
 
Upvote 0
Seriously now, really, I mean it. When I was in the service at my first duty station and being the lowest ranking newby in the squadron, I had to mow the lawn around the headquarters. We had to wear a toe protector over our shoes that was shaped like that. It had straps attached that fit under the toe and back around the heel to keep them on. They were awkward and ungainly and hard to walk in. I ran over one with the mower (accidentally of course :wink:) and turned it into slaw. I showed it to the commander and he commented they weren't worth a damn and threw it away. I didn't have to wear them after that and cut way down on the time it took to cut the lawn. Now why do I always have to tell a story every time I make a guess? It's just my character I suppose , which reminds me of the time....Oh never mind!

M ::) nty
 
Upvote 0
Some old steamer trunks were huge and had ornate brass corner protectors that might be close to what you found. Here's a pic .
 

Attachments

  • large steamer trunk.webp
    large steamer trunk.webp
    10.6 KB · Views: 287
Upvote 0
I was thinking the same thing, silverswede, and came back to this old post but you already thought of it. Ill post my pic anyway. ;D
 

Attachments

  • steamer_trunk.webp
    steamer_trunk.webp
    19.2 KB · Views: 199
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom