What's new

✅ SOLVED Brass ornament for a wood box?

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2017
Messages
2,323
Reaction score
3,908
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
Other
All, found this small brass piece on the property of a man who owned a general store in the first half of the 19th century. Due to its small size and 4 nail/screw holes I thought it could be an ornament from the top of a wooden box. What do you think it is and its age?
 

Attachments

  • 20181012_052740.webp
    20181012_052740.webp
    165.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 20181012_052800.webp
    20181012_052800.webp
    166.3 KB · Views: 87
I've found various chest & document box escutcheon plates on sites over the years, they come in all shapes and sizes too. :thumbsup:
Yours looks to be made of heavy cast brass, as opposed to stamped brass.
Date wise I'd say mid 19thc... nice find.

Dave
 
Upvote 0
I've found various chest & document box escutcheon plates on sites over the years, they come in all shapes and sizes too. :thumbsup:
Yours looks to be made of heavy cast brass, as opposed to stamped brass.
Date wise I'd say mid 19thc... nice find.

Dave

ANTIQUARIAN, thanks a bunch. I didn't think of an escutcheon plate as the couple I found in the past had a key hole. The piece is thin and was made wavy, so could be stamped. Does that change the date or do you think it is still late 19th century?
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom