✅ SOLVED Brass plated double spout? Can't figure this thing out!

pburger

Oct 22, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello! Found this today in an antiques shop. Owner didn't know what it is. Appears to be made of brass plated pot metal, zinc, or pewter. Has two tabs on the bottom which allow the pieces to separate. About 2.5 inches tall, 3.5 inches wide. Racking my brains, looked on google, and I can't figure out what this thing is. Help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Collage_Fotor2.jpg
    Collage_Fotor2.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 177
  • Collage_Fotor.jpg
    Collage_Fotor.jpg
    433 KB · Views: 145

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It seems to me a larger hole than necessary in a windpipe but Im not a doctor and the PlugNPlay's pictures prove it. I guess you insert 1 piece at a time and its for a large animal that might lose something smaller.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I think you solved it PlugNPlay but I wonder if a part is missing from pburgers item?

Upvote 0

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go! Now i can rest my retinas.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

pburger

Oct 22, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find Bramblefind! Based on the posts since Plug N Play's photo, and before your post naming the item a tracheotomy tool, I contacted a vet from Australia who owns a museum of veterinary devices. I just received his email response, and this is what he had to say... “Your item appears from the photos to be tracheotomy device made of brass from early this century. It is likely to be veterinary and commonly used in the horse drawn days of old. Outbreaks of Strangles left some badly affected horses with severe blockage of the trachea. If an emergency tracheotomy had to be performed surgically, this device would be fitted to the incision to allow breathing while the horse recovered." So, Bramblefind's discovery has been confirmed! I want to thank everyone for their commitment to getting this solved! This is an awesome site with awesome members!

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK... I'm back from my weekend away from the computer and totally STUNNED that this is solved!

This may sound a bit like "Yeah, I knew it all along", but I actually searched antique trach tubes early on in my research. My wife wore one for a few years and I always had to help her with it, so I know a little about them. But this item was WAY too big for a human trach tube and it was made of brass. It never occurred to me that it might be for an animal.

You guys are awesome... and brilliant! :notworthy:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread