What's new

Brass Pointy thing

mrtwintower

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2010
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Found this at an area that might have been a fort. Is this a millitary item? It seems to made of copper or brass with the patina. Thanks for any help!
 

Attachments

  • pointything.webp
    pointything.webp
    24.7 KB · Views: 433
Partial (?) ramrod guide
 

Attachments

  • ramrod guide.webp
    ramrod guide.webp
    2.2 KB · Views: 901
  • ramrod guide2.webp
    ramrod guide2.webp
    2.6 KB · Views: 916
  • ramrod guide.webp
    ramrod guide.webp
    2.2 KB · Views: 904
  • ramrod guide2.webp
    ramrod guide2.webp
    2.6 KB · Views: 836
Upvote 0
RelicHunter97 said:
Partial (?) ramrod guide
It looks complete. Nice find.
 

Attachments

  • ramrod pipes brown bess.webp
    ramrod pipes brown bess.webp
    21.1 KB · Views: 702
  • ramrod pipes brown bess.webp
    ramrod pipes brown bess.webp
    21.1 KB · Views: 391
Upvote 0
Its from a British musket I think..
 

Attachments

  • Brown bess.gif
    Brown bess.gif
    138.7 KB · Views: 615
Upvote 0
I think you guys nailed it. I've never heard of one before and not sure how it was used but can now do some more research. thanks much!
 
Upvote 0
mrtwintower said:
I think you guys nailed it. I've never heard of one before and not sure how it was used but can now do some more research. thanks much!
Looking at this diagram, its #404. As Relichunter said, its a ramrod guide. It was attached to the underside of an old flintlock musket barrel to hold the ramrod. I dont know what years or what musket this was used on but it matches the British Brown Bess, 1700s era.
 

Attachments

  • Brown_Bess paint.webp
    Brown_Bess paint.webp
    32.4 KB · Views: 2,230
Upvote 0
Mrtwintower wrote:
> I've never heard of one before and not sure how it was used [...]

Here is a parts-diagram for the 1700s-era "Brown Bess" British army musket (.75-caliber), which shows your exact ramrod-guide (also called a ramrod "tube"), including where yours was located on the musket. Look for part #21 in the diagram. You'll see it is exactly what you found. The Brown Bess was the primary Military musket used by the British here in the US during the American Revolution and the War-of-1812.
 

Attachments

  • gunparts_Brown-Bess_CHART_Bess-exploded.gif
    gunparts_Brown-Bess_CHART_Bess-exploded.gif
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,210
  • gunparts_Brown-Bess_CHART_Bess-exploded.gif
    gunparts_Brown-Bess_CHART_Bess-exploded.gif
    32.2 KB · Views: 444
Upvote 0
LOL! Bigcypresshunter and I were working at the same time, on posting the same diagram ...although his has different numbering than mine.
 
Upvote 0
Thank you very much guys. It is hard to imagine how that item turned up in a field in minnesota. If that piece could only talk!
 
Upvote 0
And I thought it was a pointy brass thing.
Great ID, people!
Carl
 
Upvote 0
It's still a brass pointy thing, but now it has a history. Wonder what explorers, or trappers could've dropped it? Lewis and Clark came through a bit farther south, I think. You might wanna go back and see if you can find more parts...
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom