What's new

Brass valve, but for what?

johnreb1980

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2008
Messages
684
Reaction score
23
Golden Thread
0
Location
Plainville,Ga
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and White's MXT 300
I founds this brass valve the other day while searching for Civil War relics and was wondering what it might have went to? I believe it has been in the ground for awhile due to the nice thick green patina it has on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated on it. Jonathon
 

Attachments

  • Valve 1 height edited.webp
    Valve 1 height edited.webp
    14.4 KB · Views: 438
  • valve 3 other side edited.webp
    valve 3 other side edited.webp
    16.8 KB · Views: 442
  • valve 2 width edited.webp
    valve 2 width edited.webp
    19.3 KB · Views: 447
petcock for an old tractor or hit and miss motor. used to drain oil or water from the unit
 

Attachments

  • 7859_1.webp
    7859_1.webp
    22.8 KB · Views: 440
Upvote 0
I seen some on a steam powered fire department water pumper from the 1800's in a museum last year. I think your valve is from the 1800's to the turn of the century off some type of steam boiler. I have found 10 or so different types of them metal detecting. The reason that I think that it's an old one is the design of the turn off on it. I have an old spigot that was used in beer barrels that has the same design turn off valve on it.

Wolverine.
 

Attachments

  • HPIM0817 (2) SPOUT small.webp
    HPIM0817 (2) SPOUT small.webp
    26.6 KB · Views: 404
  • HPIM0817 (2) SPOUT small.webp
    HPIM0817 (2) SPOUT small.webp
    26.6 KB · Views: 398
Upvote 0
I agree withe thepoolguy .. a petcock. Good ID and an interesting find. :thumbsup: :coffee2:
 
Upvote 0
close but no cigar yet. im thinking its a l.p. or natural gas petcock for a gasslight or fireplace.
 
Upvote 0
I'm thinking petcock to drain radiator, there is no attachment on the other end for gaslight or LP. Just my guess. HH
 
Upvote 0
I am thinking natural gas valve. Rubber hose fits over the "nub" on the out side of the valve and a hose clamp seals it. Use to be common to hook up natural gas heating stoves up through the 1950s. Dad had such a valve in the first house I remember as a child. Grandad had one in his bedroom as the back of his house had no heat and he ran gas back there through a rubber gas line. They were outlawed by codes in the 1960s. Monty



Here are some similar although not identical.
 

Attachments

  • gas valves.webp
    gas valves.webp
    10.3 KB · Views: 322
Upvote 0
T - handle straight nose air cock .
 

Attachments

  • Picture%20007%20(2).webp
    Picture%20007%20(2).webp
    19.7 KB · Views: 329
  • Picture%20006.webp
    Picture%20006.webp
    17.8 KB · Views: 333
  • Picture_005_(5).webp
    Picture_005_(5).webp
    17.3 KB · Views: 336
Upvote 0
By George, I think Mojjax has it! Identical one on top of that what ever it is! Looks like it may bleed of pressure or something? My average is now about .043% and falling! :D But I sure like guessing. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Good pics mojjax. Mark this one Solved please. solved check.gif
 

Attachments

  • solved check.gif
    solved check.gif
    589 bytes · Views: 185
  • MVC-008E.webp
    MVC-008E.webp
    9.2 KB · Views: 208
Upvote 0
Mojax gets the star for the great research on that one!

It could have been used for any number of applications, as Monty said.
Gasline, draining off condensate in a heating radiator, bleeding off a still...

I thought it was interesting that it seems to have a left hand thread on it.
That could indicate it's for a gas application.

What a great resource, here at Tnet!

:thumbsup:
rmptr
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom