What's new

brass watzit

relic lover

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2006
Messages
2,218
Reaction score
1,310
Golden Thread
0
Location
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Came from very old site gone by 1900. I think it is brass. Thanks in advance, RL
 

Attachments

  • 006.webp
    006.webp
    120.1 KB · Views: 351
  • 007.webp
    007.webp
    130.5 KB · Views: 332
  • 008.webp
    008.webp
    61 KB · Views: 331
  • 009.webp
    009.webp
    102.1 KB · Views: 325
thepoolguy said:
looks like a maple syrup tap
That was my first thougt .
 
Upvote 0
thepoolguy said:
looks like a maple syrup tap

What is a maple syrup tap? Being from Arkansas I'm not familiar with that. Learn something new everyday on here.
 
Upvote 0
I don't think it is a tap it is thin and small and defiantly has never been struck on the butt end with anything. The ramrod idea seems much more plausible.
 
Upvote 0
maple syrup taps were rugged and designed to be driven in. They were also solid. This thing is soft metal with no design for driving in. The ramrod guide seems like a good guess, but weren't they usually cast brass with one or two holes for a mounting pin? (I don't know?)
 
Upvote 0
Ha! relic lover, we wrote the ame thing at the same time!
 
Upvote 0
Many domestic rifles were tricked out with hand formed sheet brass or even iron . The 'mother country' wouldn't even allow us to have metal shovels to dig and plant with . That gave rise to Ames shovels in New England .
Cottage industries normally did not have foundry capabilities .
 
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • R11446.webp
    R11446.webp
    8.6 KB · Views: 250
Upvote 0
Awesome guys PA & KY were the birthplace of the first American rifles made. The PA long rifle and thy KY squirrel rifle. The idea that I may have dug a piece of one thrills the you know what outta me! This one has earned a spot in the relic case.
 
Upvote 0
relic lover said:
Awesome guys PA & KY were the birthplace of the first American rifles made. The PA long rifle and thy KY squirrel rifle. The idea that I may have dug a piece of one thrills the you know what outta me! This one has earned a spot in the relic case.

I have a lot of pieces of KY rifles in my case, and I wouldn't part with any of them for any amount.

You speak like a true relic lover.


Cheers,



Buck
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom