What's new

Brass Whatchamacalit

wildwood

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2009
Messages
33
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Found this today at early to mid 1800's homestead site. One side is broken off but it measures about five inches in length and about 1/8 inch thick. Design is only on the front, the back is blank as to where it would fasten to something. Any ideas?
 

Attachments

  • Unknown plate.webp
    Unknown plate.webp
    70.8 KB · Views: 385
It looks like it might be a side pate (cheek plate?) to a small gun. Can you show the back?
 
Upvote 0
Here's a pic of the back... Thanks for looking! :)
 

Attachments

  • Unknown plate back.webp
    Unknown plate back.webp
    57.3 KB · Views: 349
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • flintlock side plate.webp
    flintlock side plate.webp
    13.2 KB · Views: 352
Upvote 0
The condition of the piece is amazing. How did you clean it?

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
Thanks Bigcypresshunter and Johnnyi, much appreciated! :wink: BioProfessor: soap and water then Renaissance Wax. Thrilled that its in good condition and that I actually found it!
 
Upvote 0
Your soil is much nicer than mine. The green crud usually gets mine and yours had none.

I use that wax as well. Really good stuff.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
That came out looking nice. It's probably dates late 1700's to early 1800's a cool find
 
Upvote 0
Thanks VA for the info! I was quite pleased to have found the "cheek" plate, and it is in good condition to boot! :)
 
Upvote 0
You're welcome. I've found a few early pieces like that but not a lot. I love finding the early stuff.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom