Brass Whatsit

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this brass object on the Magruder line near a deep hole dug probably to store ice. Found these across the Confederate Earthworks. It could have also been either a weapon store or a deep foxhole. Anyway, this is the object I dug next to it, and it is made from brass and I am VERY curious to know what it is. It is darker on one end, I dont know if that is from being in the ground or from however it was used. It does look like a window weight but it isnt heavy enough....and again, it is brass. It does have two rings toward the back of the shaft and a pointed tip.

Attachments

• MD pics 116.jpg
    MD pics 116.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 341
  • MD pics 118.jpg
    MD pics 118.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 305
  • MD pics 119.jpg
    MD pics 119.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 336
  • MD pics 117.jpg
    MD pics 117.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 333

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Can you get any more detail in the photos? I really can't see that much to help figure it out.

Sorry.

Daryl

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
trk5capt said:
It Looks Like It May Be The Top Of A Tent Pole. trk5capt...

I thought that too... but I dunno.

Is it solid or hollow?

I also thought maybe the bottom of a leg for a camera tripod, or a shooters bipod type deal.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is Brass and has some sort of metal loop looking thing at the end of it and the pointed end at the other. It is hollow I believe, it has alot of buildup from being barried under the dirt for so long...but it has two rings like you find on a minie ball (no correlation) at the top of the shaft. Also whatever this is, it is the whole thing meaning, it is not broken at either end.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it's hollow, does the loop end look like it comes off or are there any other holes in it? I'm wondering if this could be a "foot torch" used by the signal corp. Signals were sometimes sent in the dark using a "foot torch" on the ground and a "flying torch" on a pole.

Just guessing, though... Can you provide better pics?

DCMatt

Upvote 0

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
Odd find.

I don't think I have ever seen anything similar to it at all.

I'll keep watching maybe someone knows.

Thanks for the pix.

Burt

Upvote 0
OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah you guys, I will try to get better pictures. Have been messing with my camera but not quite sure how to get good close up pictures with nice resolution. Will try again tonight to post better pics.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread