Brinks - Confirmation New Sorting Machines

Quick$ilver

Feb 9, 2011
East Coast
I have had a few people tell me that Brinks is going to be sorting out non standard US coins. I ran into one of the Brinks driver's at the bank today and he confirmed they have installed new machines. The installation took 2 months and the machines are now sorting by weight, according to him. He also said that the Fed initiated the mandate for new machines. (could this be the start of a Fed recall similar to what Canada has been doing for years?) I am still going to order from Brinks but will track results to see if there is a major drop off in finds. I'm guessing coins that have already been boxed will still leak out for a short while, but eventually Brinks might turn total skunk. I also think Brinks dimes will be a better indicator of whether the machine is sorting out silver as dime averages are pretty consistant. Also I realize Brinks bay have more than 1 facility, I'm speaking about PA and your results may vary.

Good Luck and HH.
Quick$ilver

Upvote 0
Pardon my ignorance but does Brinks only deliver to certain bank companies i.e. Bank of America?

Bank of America is not the only bank chain that uses Brinks. It varies depending on your area. In my area, TD was serviced by Brinks but is now serviced by Garda. Sovereign Bank in my area uses Brinks and used to be Garda.

I don't want to lend credence to any "Brinks culling" rumors, but I will attest that Brinks has been dropped as a courier (either by Brinks themselves or the bank) for a number or banks on the First Coast. Loomis was always the second-rate courier in my area, handling the smaller branches. My source banks have been serviced by Brinks for years (5+). They normally received a delivery everyday. Now, they are all being serviced by Loomis with only bi-weekly deliveries.

Brinks might be curtailing their courier duties while re-fitting their coin sorting facility.

According to drop in my finds, Brinks installed those machines over 2 years ago.

I just started CRH 3 weeks ago - I have about 24 halves to show for it. 5 of them 90%s. I have searched maybe half of a box, and the rest are bank rolled, or customer rolled. 1500 all togeather. I am very excited about my new hobby ( obsession ) - but I am very curious what CRH was like 2+ years ago. are you speaking only for boxes of coins?

I have seen the numbers - about half to 60% are skunks - and then they carry a few 40%s if they aren't skunks, with the occasional magic box. How did this compare to 2 years ago? Thanks again!

I just started CRH 3 weeks ago - I have about 24 halves to show for it. 5 of them 90%s. I have searched maybe half of a box, and the rest are bank rolled, or customer rolled. 1500 all togeather. I am very excited about my new hobby ( obsession ) - but I am very curious what CRH was like 2+ years ago. are you speaking only for boxes of coins?

I have seen the numbers - about half to 60% are skunks - and then they carry a few 40%s if they aren't skunks, with the occasional magic box. How did this compare to 2 years ago? Thanks again!
My boxes were lousy even 4 years ago. Too close to Detroit with too many monster hunters and marked coins even back then. Customer rolls, not bad, several solid rolls of 40%. I never searched volume but did sample many boxes of halves every year. I now average one 40% per 2 boxes.
Don't let me discourage you, sounds like you are doing good. That's just what it's like in my area. Good luck

Last edited:
I did 28 boxes of Brinks in April and 22 of them were skunks. 78.57% skunk rate. We will see if this gets worse in May.

be careful saying that. When I mentioned the same thing has happened in Phoenix, I was ridiculed by many on this forum. And I understand why so many of us old timers don't post any more. YOu don't want to be the next target of the nasty ones on this board.

I did 28 boxes of Brinks in April and 22 of them were skunks. 78.57% skunk rate. We will see if this gets worse in May.

People always draw the correlation that Brinks culls based on the skunk rate. In my opinion, I think it has nothing to do with culling but rather the business of Brinks. In my region, Brinks was always the main courier, with Loomis being a very distant second. Garda was an even more distant third, and Dunbar only made it's presence known to convince critics that they hadn't gone out of business. With the Brinks conducting the most business, then they also received the most dumps especially from large volume hunters. With CRH'ers sniping the customer rolls before they can get in the system and the overwhelming volume of dumps diluting the supply, it stands to reason that fewer and fewer finds would be reported.

Excuse my ignorance, but how can you tell what company's boxes you are getting? Other than casing the banks and watching which truck pulls up? The boxes that I get from my bank don't have a company name on them.

Excuse my ignorance, but how can you tell what company's boxes you are getting? Other than casing the banks and watching which truck pulls up? The boxes that I get from my bank don't have a company name on them.

Happening to be there when the courier is doing a dropoff/pickup is one way. Generally they get there at the same time on the same days(s) every week. Another way is to ask the vault teller.

You could also ask, but they might get suspicious as to why you want to know.

be careful saying that. When I mentioned the same thing has happened in Phoenix, I was ridiculed by many on this forum. And I understand why so many of us old timers don't post any more. YOu don't want to be the next target of the nasty ones on this board.

Yea it's too bad people always kill the messenger. People are touchy about silver culling I suppose! I for one am always grateful when more experienced members put their two cents in, don't let the jack ass*s deter you!

Not trying to "kill the messenger" , but this information is contrary to what the ops manager for Brinks told about their sorting facilities in CA. Just offering up a countering fact that I have researched.

Could be by area, could be the guys in the truck say that as their "tagline" to discourage roll hunters, I don't think we'll ever be certain unless we got a full blown tour of Brinks, which obviously won't happen :-(

Bigheed

Yea it's too bad people always kill the messenger. People are touchy about silver culling I suppose! I for one am always grateful when more experienced members put their two cents in, don't let the jack ass*s deter you!

The main purpose of the new machines at the sorting facility certainly would not be for culling silver or to discorage CRH. They probably welcome orders from banks who supply CRHs as they then get to charge the banks fees and generate revenue. They may be creating the infrastructure to recall copper/nickle clad coins as well as any silver containing coins. If the coin composition changes in 2013 or 2014, the new coins would definitely be lighter material and machines that can discriminate out the old coins would be needed. Canada has been doing this for years and we are likely to follow. All that aside, word on the street is the facility did get an upgraded sorting machine. Take it for what you want.

Good Luck and HH
Quick$ilver

Not trying to "kill the messenger" , but this information is contrary to what the ops manager for Brinks told about their sorting facilities in CA. Just offering up a countering fact that I have researched.

Could be by area, could be the guys in the truck say that as their "tagline" to discourage roll hunters, I don't think we'll ever be certain unless we got a full blown tour of Brinks, which obviously won't happen :-(

Bigheed

Well after the first time I was told they were sorting out coins by weight I doubled my order at the bank that driver services, just to call his bluff so to speak. Later I hear the same message with more details from another bank and different driver. Only time will tell, but does it seem so far fetched that as facilities need repairs to machines they might upgrade them?

Brinks boxes are 2 layers of 25 rolls (5 rolls x 5 rolls) and look like cubes. The rolls themselves also say Brinks.

Quick$silver - I can agree that it is not far fetched to install a new machine....however my understanding is that it is illegal for them to cull or discriminate the coins they are processing since they do not own them, they are just taking possession of them. If they remove a silver coin and replace it with a CuNi of the same FV they are taking "possession without consent to acquire" and by definition that is illegal.

I am intrigued enough to try to connect again with the Brinks Operations Manager here and see if anything has indeed changed or is planning to change or the legal status of what this thread is about and if there are certain exceptions etc that can be made with the customer.

I'll share my update when I can....I expect it will take a few weeks like it did last time to contact this person and have them return my call.

Bigheed

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back