Broke into the 1800s with a little help from a buddy

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST
Broke into the 1800's with a little help from a buddy

A friend of mine invited me to do some detecting yesterday after work at a spot he had scoped out. First coin out of the bag he has a 1893 V nickel! I was hoping that I would be able to find a coin from the 1800's as well, and we could make it a night to remember. About 15 minutes into the hunt I noticed the Etrac was almost in a constant null from iron. I remember reading a post on hunting in 2 tone Ferrous sounds when in a situation like this. I changed the machine over and, Bingo! Targets were sounding off everywhere, but I had to stare at the screen constantly to see what the VDI readings were before digging. I ended up finding 5 memorial cents. I got a strange signal that didn't sound very strong, but the VDI read 11-46 and bounced around up to 17-46 then back down, but the signal was pretty faint. I decided to dig it anyway since I hadn't found much of anything and I knew there should be some other nice oldies there. 5 inches down pops out a small thin black disc. I looked at it closely and couldn't make out anything on the obverse, I turned it over and saw "One Dime" and a wreath. I jumped up! "I think I just found my first Barber!" I had my buddy try and ID the obverse for me since I was wearing shades, and my coke bottle glasses were in the car. He said that he couldn't make anything out on the obverse. When I got home, I decided that I had to know what was on the obverse, and hit it with some baking soda. After a few minutes of scrubbing, I could see that it wasn't a Barber dime, but the faint remnants of a Seated! ;D Holy cow, I can't find a Barber anywhere, but I can find a Seated?? The coin is in BAD shape, but it is pre 1892, my first Seated, and a hunt I will always remember. :hello2:

Attachments

• IMG_0883.JPG
    IMG_0883.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 700
  • IMG_0888.JPG
    IMG_0888.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 695
Upvote 0
Re: Broke into the 1800's with a little help from a buddy

Congrats on your first 1800's silver Keverett :headbang: Even though it's in rough shape, it is what it is.. ANY seated coin is a great find :icon_thumleft:

Congs on your first coin in the 1800's. Hope there is plenty more for you to come.....Matt

Thanks guys! Any seated from my area out in California is rare to say the least. I just can't believe that I still haven't found a barber......

Bravo! :thumbsup:

I am in the 18's with IH pennies, but nothing silver yet. Great find.

HH

welcome to the clulb :hello2: shes been circulated , but it counts

congrats! that 2 tone ferrous is an awesome way to hunt a heavily littered iron site

Goes4ever said:
congrats! that 2 tone ferrous is an awesome way to hunt a heavily littered iron site

Actually your post was what reminded me of that trick! Thanks a bunch for the helpful tip!! I owe my first seated to your knowledge!

A coin you TRULY will remember ... long from now.

Congrats!!!

Congrats on your first Seated. It may be rough, but its still a Seated & I'm sure you will find more. Ron

Having never found one myself, I'm a bit green with envy here.

Id be happy if I could break in to the 1800s with an IHP,,,,,,,congrats to you!

DMN said:
Having never found one myself, I'm a bit green with envy here.
That green is patina in my case. Too much kneeling. Haven't been able to get it off my knee. <grin>

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back