What's new

Broke my At/Pro today

fongu

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2012
Messages
1,342
Reaction score
879
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hadn't been able to get my dirt fishing fix for nearly 3 weeks and our church had an association meeting in another neighboring county so off to the river I went. It was after 3 pm time I got my chest waders on and everything else ready and I decided to change the 8. 5 X 11 coil to the sniper for some close places I've wanted to work for quite some time. The bolt was so tight, I used pliers to get it loose and I guess because I was in a hurry and didn't have much time, I put the bolt back on with the pliers. It snapped off and went flying and this was the one time I didn't have a spare bolt or my 2500 with me. You win some, you lose some. Lesson learned, but I sure felt stupid when it happened. I'll call A & S and get a spare set or two, just in case I pull a bone head stunt like this again. Combine getting in a hurry and arthritic hands and this is what happens. I hate to drive almost 18 miles to metal detect and had the swim park all to myself except for the boats and pulled a stunt like this. Hope the rest of the members had a better detecting day than this.
I heard a suggestion on another forum to use some toilet seat bolts for an emergency and I have a set at my Mama's house and will try that tomorrow.
 
Upvote 0
Sorry about your day...
I walked an awful lot of beach today for 35¢ of 1970's clad several lead sinkers and my best find...a piece of copper Hull sheathing.
Can't win'em all.

ForumRunner_20131013_181701.webp



ForumRunner_20131013_181915.webp
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20131013_164623-1.webp
    IMG_20131013_164623-1.webp
    68 KB · Views: 153
Without mistakes we cant learn. Anyway, tomorrow is another day.
 
Without mistakes we cant learn. Anyway, tomorrow is another day.

On the other hand without mistakes there is nothing to learn.
"All I want is Ups, Ups, Ups " Charlie Brown

"I watch the Sun rise in the Morning and set in the evening
for Another day of Celestial wonders", BC.
 
Last edited:
I'm all geared up and packed up to take a verrrry long hike early in the morning to a section of beach where I never find anything. On top of this, even with this past history and knowledge, it still seems like the thing to do. :icon_scratch: And you think you're experiencing problems. :laughing7:
 
At least it wasn't more than a coil bolt. I read another post a few days ago where a guy backed up over his metal detector with his vehicle and annihilated it.
 
sorry about your bad luck, similar to mine --walking on some wet wooden steps and slipped, landed in a puddle and broke my arm cuff on the at pro ,just have to ebay a new one i suppose
 
I'm happy to report the toilet seat bolts worked when I connected the sniper coil to the shaft. I haven't had a chance to test it in the field, but definitely will carry a set from now on. I see on these forums where people put their detectors down and back over them or fall and break them, and I feel blessed that my minor problem is solved. When you can't get out and do any dirt fishing and then you hit a snag, it seems like a bigger problem than it is. I'm hoping I can get to go dirt fishing Saturday, but I will take my 2500 with me as a back up. GL & HH.
 
Gatorboy and Bigscoop, you're just cleaning up the junk targets so you can find the good stuff. Even if I don't find much, I enjoy the outdoors and swinging my coil and wondering what I'm going to find next. Sometimes it's pull tabs or a few pennies, other times it's something good. That's what makes our hobby so wonderful.
 
Home Depot or similar large hardware store have a whole array of nylon bolts that work fine as coil bolts. I think they were like fifty cents a piece for my Tiger Shark and Xterra. I always keep a couple for each in my glove compartment.
 
Fongu at least with the arthritis we are still out there!!!!! I got both knees shot up today.
 
I think we all make mistakes when we are in a hurry. I once showed up at a new beach and had no batteries in my CZ-20 and no back up batteries. It was a holiday so no stores were open in that town. I am glad it was only a coil bolt.
 
Sorry to hear about the mishap fondu!
I guess when that happens its time to tape the pro pointer to a stick! :laughing7:
 
I busted the little back bracket behind the cuff. The stand part maybe? First trip out on my AT. Oh well coil bolt is another story it must have been really loose and flopping around.
I like the ingenuity shown on here!
 
Without mistakes we cant learn. Anyway, tomorrow is another day.

If we learn from our mistakes, I must be a genius by now.
as others have said a minor mistake.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom