Broken Drinking Glass:

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Found this in a small stream on my property in Western North Carolina, family owned farm for over 75 years and it is not located near any residences during this period. I have previously found European pottery & stoneware in this stream. Wondering if this trademark on bottom might help identify it. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 7.14.43 PM.png

Last edited:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you picturing the trademark from the top or bottom of the broken piece? In your picture it looks to be reversed (as if viewed from the top) and when I mirror it, I see it as an ‘F’ in a shield:

Federal.jpg

If so, it’s the trademark of the Federal Glass Company of Columbus, Ohio (active between 1900-1979). The trademark registration indicates first use of “F in Shield” in 1932, but it appears in Federal’s catalogues as far back as 1927, so it must have been used unregistered at least that long ago. Although the mark seems to have been phased out around 1958 when they merged with the Federal Paper Board Company of Montvale, NJ it does appear on some items made since then (such as glass items made for the US Bicentennial in 1976).

Federal made a huge variety of glassware including tumblers, plates, shot glasses, bowls, mugs, packer jars, toothpick holders, etc. for both domestic use as well as for the restaurant, bar, and hotel trade.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread