What's new

Broken Points & Pottery From Yesterday

mangum

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2012
Messages
2,323
Reaction score
3,533
Golden Thread
0
Location
Charlotte, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't wait to get back to this field. I went to a good arrowhead hunting/metal detecting site & explored a field I had only briefly passed through. It is in low land right beside the river. There are flakes everywhere! I was metal detecting with a buddy so we didn't spend too much time there. I found a few broken points & some pottery shards in the hour we were there. I think it's loaded. Thanks for looking & HH!
 

Attachments

  • shard.webp
    shard.webp
    41.1 KB · Views: 162
  • arrowheads.webp
    arrowheads.webp
    28.3 KB · Views: 154
Upvote 0
Yep... I think it's loaded too ..hopefully you kept your poker face and will be heading back there on your own because it sounds like no one else is picking any of it up.
Looks like stuff from the Carolinas
 
You should see the collection of the gentleman that lived there (deceased). His two daughters take care of the farm. There's a tomahawk mounted in the fireplace that he found there. I have found a lot of good stuff on the property. I hunted arrowheads there 5 years, than picked up a flat button off the ground. It's also been one of my most productive metal detecting sites! The early settlers built their homes where the Indians lived a lot of times, high ground near a water source is the key. BUT.. this made me rethink the low lands
 
Love those shards and they look similar to what I find. The Catawba Nation inhabited your area along with their Sioux speaking allies and were known for their beautiful pottery.
 
These were actually found in Granville, not Mecklenburg County
 
And there you had the Tuscarora and Saponi.
I knew about the Tuscarora but not the Saponi. I really would love to get into this aspect of the hobby more. I used to primarily look for arrowheads & such but got sucked into metal detecting. I love them both though!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom