What's new

Bronze Age Dagger Blade - Rapier or Dirk - 1200 BC

DavidBeard

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2008
Messages
507
Reaction score
44
Golden Thread
1
Location
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,
Got a few hours out yesterday afternoon visiting the 'Bronze Age' farm again.
After a very quiet start (only a couple of buttons in the 1st hour) a few 'recent' coins showed up - George V 1921 Florin, George VI Sixpence, etc and then this as I walked up the slope:
Bronze Age Dagger blade - Rapier or Dirk - around 1200 BC:
BA-Rapier-Blade-1.webp
BA-Rapier-Blade-2.webp
BA-Rapier-Blade-3.webp
BA-Rapier-Blade-side.webp
BA-Rapier-Blade-end.webp

[youtube=425,350]TasD7BBaMMo[/youtube]

Quite possibly a votive deposit rather than it having been lost.

13cm in length, 4cm at widest part tapering to 1cm - wafer thin probably only about 3mm down central rib sloping down to nothing at the sides - weighs around 50g.

It would have had 'rivets' at the butt end attaching it to a bone or horn handle - A thrusting weapon.

A nice few hours in the sun rewarded also with £2.01 modern money towards the cold beer fund! :occasion14:
2pound-and-penny.webp
George-V-Florin-1921.webp
Other-coins.webp
3-buttons-pewter-handle-rin.webp

There's 2 more fields just been cut - hoping to get back on there next week.
 
Upvote 2
that blade is a killer find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MR TUFF
 
Nice find bud! Not too many people can say they've dug a dirk that old :wink: :icon_thumleft:
 
Fantastic. It is a Dirk or maybe have you considered spear point. The rapier was the dueling sword the Dirk the dagger so to speak. Man that is just a great find. Very thin and still looks sharp. I think that is a very rare find.
Congratulations sir !!
TnMtns
 
Ditto to ALL the positive remarks, WOW what a great find congratulations amigo! :notworthy: I would have likely broken my neck trying to do a backflip if I ever found something like that! I am voting BANNER! :thumbsup: :hello2: :headbang:
Oroblanco
 
TnMountains said:
Fantastic. It is a Dirk or maybe have you considered spear point. The rapier was the dueling sword the Dirk the dagger so to speak. Man that is just a great find. Very thin and still looks sharp. I think that is a very rare find.
Congratulations sir !!
TnMtns
I thought it was a 'Spear Point' at first, yes (not dug one before.. perhaps I will though here) and we all thought it could be back at the farm, It wasn't until I got back home to my books that I could rule Bronze Age Spear out as these were 'Socketed' for the shaft to fit in to. The 2 'rivet' holes (remains of) gave it away.
Since had confirmation from the museum that it is a Dirk (they'll have it off me next month). Also mentioned that items like this were not usually lost but placed as a votive offering, there are some burial mounds not too far from this field.... Could be digging a body up next.. oh dear!
 
Mr Tuff said:
that blade is a killer find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MR TUFF
"Killer Find" indeed - I wonder how many it has been used to kill by its previous owner.
 
awesome blade :notworthy:
 
Something Dad & I are yet to find, maybe never will, my Banner votes in :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

I will say it again, for a recently joined member to the hobby, your on fire :headbang:
 
CRUSADER said:
...I will say it again, for a recently joined member to the hobby, your on fire :headbang: ...
Thanks Crusader... More than just a hobby, its become an obsession! The Grand Piano in the corner of the room can't be seen anymore, it's now become a table for pots of finds, books, maps, internet print-outs, horns, skulls etc.. Looking more like a science museum every day. Have recently bought a SEF coil for my etrac 15" x 18" - I don't use it all of the time but on the old pasture fields its picked up things that my normal coil hasn't - still waiting for that gold coin though!
 
:headbang: excellent find, as far as weapons the only to be older is stone incredible Banner for sure !! :thumbsup: Dd60
 
Gosh! I made the banner.. :hello2: Yippee
Just been given 2 new fields to go in in the next village too - what a lovely day x
 
DavidBeard said:
Gosh! I made the banner.. :hello2: Yippee
Just been given 2 new fields to go in in the next village too - what a lovely day x
Congrats on the Banner well deserved :thumbsup: Dd60
 
Good eyes Dave, way to keep your eyes on the ground! :o Enjoyed your video as well.
Congratulations on making the Banner too :notworthy:
 
Hi, that's a great looking dagger blade :headbang: I agree, that is A VERY deserving piece :thumbsup: Congratulations :occasion18:
 
Wow fantasic find......... :P
 
You just mind the top of that grand piano David.....Great finds tho.....enjoyed the pictures and video.......congratulations on the banner.. :hello:



U.
 
Unicorn said:
...You just mind the top of that grand piano David.....
U.
Thanks Unicorn - got a thick cover over it, got to take great care of this one as a few important fingers have played on its keys, Stevie Wonder, Jools Holland, etc - do you play? :sunny:
 
The dagger is a stunning find congrats! :notworthy:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom