What's new

Bronze Age Dagger Blade - Rapier or Dirk - 1200 BC

DavidBeard

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2008
Messages
507
Reaction score
44
Golden Thread
1
Location
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,
Got a few hours out yesterday afternoon visiting the 'Bronze Age' farm again.
After a very quiet start (only a couple of buttons in the 1st hour) a few 'recent' coins showed up - George V 1921 Florin, George VI Sixpence, etc and then this as I walked up the slope:
Bronze Age Dagger blade - Rapier or Dirk - around 1200 BC:
BA-Rapier-Blade-1.webp
BA-Rapier-Blade-2.webp
BA-Rapier-Blade-3.webp
BA-Rapier-Blade-side.webp
BA-Rapier-Blade-end.webp

[youtube=425,350]TasD7BBaMMo[/youtube]

Quite possibly a votive deposit rather than it having been lost.

13cm in length, 4cm at widest part tapering to 1cm - wafer thin probably only about 3mm down central rib sloping down to nothing at the sides - weighs around 50g.

It would have had 'rivets' at the butt end attaching it to a bone or horn handle - A thrusting weapon.

A nice few hours in the sun rewarded also with £2.01 modern money towards the cold beer fund! :occasion14:
2pound-and-penny.webp
George-V-Florin-1921.webp
Other-coins.webp
3-buttons-pewter-handle-rin.webp

There's 2 more fields just been cut - hoping to get back on there next week.
 
Upvote 2
Amazing! it kept so well over all these years. Good one, good luck on finding more!! :headbang:
 
Big congrat's on the dagger and the banner. :icon_thumright:
 
DavidBeard said:
CRUSADER said:
...I will say it again, for a recently joined member to the hobby, your on fire :headbang: ...
Thanks Crusader... More than just a hobby, its become an obsession! The Grand Piano in the corner of the room can't be seen anymore, it's now become a table for pots of finds, books, maps, internet print-outs, horns, skulls etc.. Looking more like a science museum every day. Have recently bought a SEF coil for my etrac 15" x 18" - I don't use it all of the time but on the old pasture fields its picked up things that my normal coil hasn't - still waiting for that gold coin though!

Yeap, always knew you were the right animal for the job :wink: :D :icon_thumright:

PS. BANNER TIME :notworthy:
 
A BIG congratulations on your Banner Find! Now, keep those open tubs half filled with water off that piano! From one musician to another, one day I would love to own a vintage Steinway Grand--either late 1930s or early 1940s. :headbang:

Cheers,


Buckles
 
Unfortunately I do not play the piano David but can appreciate the beauty of a "grand". Jools Holland, and Stevie Wonder, no less. Are you in the "wonderous" of Jazz.


U.
 
Wow, congrats on a great find and in making the Banner. :thumbsup:
 
Well done David :thumbsup: ! Congratulations on your banner and lance ...... I missed your post ,sorry. ;D
Hispan.
 
HISPAN said:
Well done David :thumbsup: ! Congratulations on your banner and lance ...... I missed your post ,sorry. ;D
Hispan.

Its a dirk (dagger). :icon_thumright:
 
Had a couple of hours back on the field yesterday before the rain came to see if I could find another... Came away with just 2 Halfpennies 1914 & 1943 and 2 Livery buttons 'Lurcher' and 'Dragon & triple-towered Castle) - 18th/19th century I think :

2-buttons-2-halfpennies.webp

Will be back up there in a couple of weeks hopefully.
 
David...Sorry for the interruption in this thread, but I must ask you. Have you ever been told that you resemble Ian Botham. For all of those who are'nt familiar with him he is or was a cricketer.

U.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom