Bubbles?

Jan 25, 2021
DFW (TX)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there! Located in North Texas. I don't know if this is concrete bubbles, or limonite, or what. Any ideas? Thank you!
unnamed.jpg

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
First off...
Welcome to TreasureNet

Cool Bubbles.. are you thinking they are a limestone/concrete formation??
Never seen concrete do that, but what do I know...LOL
Good luck on the ID

Upvote 0

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A concretion of some type sounds good to me.

Upvote 0

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dino eggs that got replaced with minerals over time? Or Wild mushrooms replaced the same way too.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If those were dino-eggs (or any kind of eggs) the clutch would consist of similar sizes, which those obviously aren't. Mushroom fossils of any kind are exceptionally rare because mushrooms and other fungi are primarily water with very little 'hard' tissue capable of generating replacement fossils.

The interior shows that they are concretionary in nature and there's no reason to suppose they are fossils, except that fragmentary organic debris (small pieces of shells, plants etc) often act as a nucleus around which concretions form. Since concretions are formed by successive precipitation of minerals around the nucleus, it's not uncommon for them to grow at different rates and ultimately a group of concretions may encroach upon one another to form conjoined clusters... like this:

Sandstone Concretions.jpg

They commonly erode out of sedimentary rocks - especially sandstones, siltstones and mudstones through which iron-rich groundwater has percolated. They're most commonly silica-cemented, but sometimes calcite-cemented and often harder than their host rocks such that they are all that is left behind after the rock has eroded or weathered.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread