Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m hunting around where I think a house sat in the early 1900’s. So far just trying to find where it actually was. Found some old square nails and a file so I think I’m in the right area. Today I found this and was hoping someone might know what it was or some idea of when it was made?

I think it’s copper or a copper alloy, as there is a little bit of green tarnish on one edge. I first thought it was a buckle, but the middle part doesn’t seem hinged, but solid and “springy”. My wife says maybe a hair clip, and an internet image search says maybe a suspender clip. Does anyone know?

IMG_0464.jpeg IMG_0465.jpeg

OP
OP
robertk

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's neither. It is a suspender strap adjuster.

Welcome to TNET! :hello:
Thanks!!

Any idea on rough vintage? I know the house I’m hunting was there in 1946, but I don’t know when it was built or when it was lost. I do know it’s completely gone now — no trace of foundation or anything left.

Upvote 0

ColtsPop

Oct 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is too large for a suspender adjuster. I believe it is a sash buckle or, as your wife suggests, a hair clip. Although I am not aware of any way to date these (I would appreciate if someone does), based on similar items I have found and it’s design I believe it is post civil war, pre depression, so 1880-1920.

Welcome to Treasurenet, a lot of good folk here.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
By very closely eyeballing the marks on the tape-measure next to the object, I estimate the opening in it is 1-&-1/8th-inch by 5/16th-inch. That's the right size to accommodate the width and thickness of the "main" straps (1"-wide, 1/8" thick) of a suspenders. So I believe Creskol's ID of the object is correct.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
robertk

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, all! 1880 to 1920 would be great! Maybe I'll get lucky and find some coins in that range. Nothing good yet, though. I'm still trying to zero in on the house location. I'm also learning a new detector right now (XP Deus II) and I'm digging a lot of things just to learn what they sound like. Almost all old rusty iron so far -- one piece of lead (smashed bullet, maybe), a rasp, lots of nails both round and square, a few railroad spikes, and one horseshoe. No coins or much of anything that isn't iron yet.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread