BuffaloBoy: An ender I never even thought about getting.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks, I was picking up some boxes yesterday and as I was opening the boxes, I always check for silver enders first.
Well, we are all familiar with the Panama medio (1/2) balboa, but some may not be aware that the US made these coins for Panama, that's why the composition of them are the same as American coins of the time.
Back to the story, I notice this ender from 1970 and immediately knew it was a Panamian silver, I thought it was neat so I decided to share it with you all. I never have gotten a foreign silver coin in a half dollar roll before, and this is my first one and an ender. Kind of strange because it seems like all my "firsts" are enders... My first ever 1970d was an ender, my first ever barber (dime) was an ender, and now my first ever foreign silver was an ender.
Enjoy!
HH
BuffaloBoy

panama silver ender.png
Mintage: 610,000

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice 40%er BB.

The Panamanian Balboa is the prettiest foreign coin IMO.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Great find - esp as an ender. I just got my first foreign silver half ('64 Canadian) earlier this month too - mine wasnt an ender though. So those Balboa's were the same composition as US coins during the same years and that one was the last 40% silver Balboa half? Low mintage too which is cool. I found a clad '75 Balboa half recently but thats the oldest Balboa Ive ever found.

H$H!

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1970 was the last circulation year that the panamian 1/2 balboas were issued for circulation. The composition of this ender contains the same amount of silver as a US 40% Half dollar... my foreign coin book states that the balboa that is an ender is 12.5g and contains 0.1607 oz ASW; however, I think that is a typo and should be 11.34g and contain 0.1479 oz of silver... I will weigh the coin once I open the box this weekend.
Great find - esp as an ender. I just got my first foreign silver half ('64 Canadian) earlier this month too - mine wasnt an ender though. So those Balboa's were the same composition as US coins during the same years and that one was the last 40% silver Balboa half? Low mintage too which is cool. I found a clad '75 Balboa half recently but thats the oldest Balboa Ive ever found.

H$H!

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find, thats a really low mintage too.

Captaindoodle

Feb 10, 2008
Very nice BB especially as an ender...I got a 1930 once and it was a highlight for me...07

Picture 015.jpg

Last edited:

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! It's quite amazing to find foreign silver coins in US!

IMO, the panama half is the most beautiful foreign coins. I found quite a few, 2x90%, 5x40%, and 5 or 6 clads. The clad ones are hard to find because I only edge search. I only found them unless they presented as ender, or while I was dumping and caught on the machine.

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
what an awesome find. i know the hits haven't been great for you recently, so good to see you pick up such a cool score!

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, yeah, I don't know what is going on with my finds. I guess there are just so many new hunters in my area that are culling out what little amount of silver that remains.
what an awesome find. i know the hits haven't been great for you recently, so good to see you pick up such a cool score!

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way, I don't wanna keep you waiting for the results, but I am saving this box to open this weekend with my 90 year old grandfather. He loves to CRH with me and I do a box a week with him.

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Thats awesome man. For me, these are the times that make it all worth while.

Rustystcloud

Oct 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome find BB. I have a handful of clad balboas but no silver. My favorite and best foreign find so far is my 1984 silver commemorative from I found about 8 months ago

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks, I was picking up some boxes yesterday and as I was opening the boxes, I always check for silver enders first.
Well, we are all familiar with the Panama medio (1/2) balboa, but some may not be aware that the US made these coins for Panama, that's why the composition of them are the same as American coins of the time.
Back to the story, I notice this ender from 1970 and immediately knew it was a Panamian silver, I thought it was neat so I decided to share it with you all. I never have gotten a foreign silver coin in a half dollar roll before, and this is my first one and an ender. Kind of strange because it seems like all my "firsts" are enders... My first ever 1970d was an ender, my first ever barber (dime) was an ender, and now my first ever foreign silver was an ender.
Enjoy!
HH
BuffaloBoy

View attachment 1057843
Mintage: 610,000

:3coins: Congrats on a nice ender. The only Balboas that I have found (between 1 & 2 dozen) have always been clad. Wonder what your next 1st ender will be.
HH
Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread