Building a highbanker

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So, it is the time of year to acquire some new equipment.

I have been looking at the offerings in highbankers, and except for the Gold Hog machine, they are all little 12 volt toys. My plan is to build one 10" wide with a 4' riffle section. I had great success builidng a recirc in my garage two years ago, so I am pretty sure I can pull it off.

I will line it with Doc's mats.

I have a few questions for you all. First off, what gauge aluminum should I use? I have heard .040. Should I go thicker, and if I go thicker, can I still break it with a standard 10' brake?

Also, what size pump should I get? Any suggestions on a good pump that won't break the bank? And, not be too heavy. I know that is all relative, but it won't travel far by hand. I need to be able to pack it all on a quad at minimum.

And, the last one. Is there a way to make this machine into a dredge? Basically, can I set it up on the bank and suck material directly into it? I don't plan on needing to dive to do this, the water will be waist deep at max.

I may use it as a recirc now and then as well. I know this is quite a list of questions, and all answers are appreciated.
Kaz

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I built my first sluice out of plywood, and 1X3. 10 X 4 foot long.
Used my swimming pool pump.
Riffles where 2 foot, then 1 foot of moss,( green scrubbies), and screen.(expanded metal).
Riffles where drop riffle, went from 3/4 inch down to 1/2 inch.
Just plain blocks.(square)
Works fine to this day. Just leaves black sand, and no gold because there is none in my area.

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wish you could find more than just black sand. I made my first sluice too. It readlly gives you more knowledge on how they work.

OP
OP
K

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's the first sluice I built. 10" wide, 5' long. It is a beautiful piece, just not something you pack up and carry out to the field. 20120320_181517.jpg 20120320_181524.jpg

rocme44

Sep 4, 2013
AZ, N.CA
Detector(s) used
AT, Goldbug2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are many high banker dredge combos an the market. Requires a larger pump/motor, hopper and a suction nozzle.
I have one that works well. Check Them out.
Good luck.

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013
.040 is sufficient. You could go bigger that is up to you. Any problem bending will typically be in the type of sheets you get. 1100 and 5252 have excellent formability ratings. If you get something harder you run the possibility of cracking along your brake. Check out the mc master Carr web sight. There are tables and explanations of all kinds of materials. Really a good DIY resource regardless if you buy from there or not. thicker material may require annealing.

OP
OP
K

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, I stopped and picked up a 4x4 and 1x4 sheet of .063 5052 aluminum today. Also got some 3/16 x 1 flat stock. Let the creative juices flow..$58. Also ordered UR and Scrubber mat from Doc. $85. $143 so far.

Last edited:

SLNugget

Sep 25, 2013
Morristown, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, I stopped and picked up a 4x4 and 1x4 sheet of .063 5052 aluminum today. Also got some 3/16 x 1 flat stock. Let the creative juices flow..$58. Also ordered UR and Scrubber mat from Doc. $85. $143 so far.

Good plan on the .063 and 5052. Where did you find it if you don't mind saying?

IdahoJake

Oct 9, 2013
Clarkston, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Build it!

Kaz...I like your enthusiasm. If you can build a highbanker, then I say build it!

I was looking at upgrading the highbanker that I owned, but I couldn't believe the prices I was seeing...so I built one.

Here it is:

Cost me about $250 total and is outfitted with GH matting (saved a ton of bucks). I have since upgraded it and added an extension for 96" total sluicing bed. The best part is it works great...and I built it myself! Recovered 2+ ounces last summer with it and had an awesome time doing it.

I use my 1.5" Honda WH15 pump with it...but there are a lot of other less expensive water pumps out there that will work just fine. I also use 2 12v 3700gph Rule pumps for "silent mode"...these work really well.

Good luck!

Last edited:

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jake, surely you don't mean Bronco-free as in BSU? Say it ain't so !

IdahoJake

Oct 9, 2013
Clarkston, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jake, surely you don't mean Bronco-free as in BSU? Say it ain't so !

I'm a Vandal...sorry.

But, I do have some family members who are Broncos (one actually went there for 2 years, then transferred to UI to finish her degree)...we get along just fine. In fact, we got married 25 years ago. Thankfully, our 3 children are being Vandal-educated! :thumbsup:

Hope we can still be friends! :occasion14:

OP
OP
K

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good plan on the .063 and 5052. Where did you find it if you don't mind saying?

Don't mind at all. Industrial Metals. 5150 S 48th st. Broadway curve and I-10. They have pretty much everything as far as metal goes.

OP
OP
K

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kaz...I like your enthusiasm. If you can build a highbanker, then I say build it!

I was looking at upgrading the highbanker that I owned, but I couldn't believe the prices I was seeing...so I built one.

Here it is:

Cost me about $250 total and is outfitted with GH matting (saved a ton of bucks). I have since upgraded it and added an extension for 96" total sluicing bed. The best part is it works great...and I built it myself! Recovered 2+ ounces last summer with it and had an awesome time doing it.

I use my 1.5" Honda WH15 pump with it...but there are a lot of other less expensive water pumps out there that will work just fine. I also use 2 12v 3700gph Rule pumps for "silent mode"...these work really well.

Good luck!

Yes, I saw your video already. I want to do that style, but want to know if I can set it up for dredging from the riverbank. You know, set it up on the riverbank, and suck all my material directly into the header box. Also, I am trying not to use so much angle aluminum to support the corners. I am going to try it without the angel aluminum first. I can always add it later if it seems weak. Will that pump support dredging?

OP
OP
K

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks. That will save me some time shopping around.
I asked my metal guy and he said I won't have any problem breaking .063, so that is what I went with. I plan on making my own punch plate. They have some punch plate there, and lots of expanded metal. Dowel rods, flat stock, tubular, they really have it all. The .063 comes in all different size sheets.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How about posting some pictures when you've got it all done?

All the best,

Lanny

IdahoJake

Oct 9, 2013
Clarkston, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I saw your video already. I want to do that style, but want to know if I can set it up for dredging from the riverbank. You know, set it up on the riverbank, and suck all my material directly into the header box. Also, I am trying not to use so much angle aluminum to support the corners. I am going to try it without the angel aluminum first. I can always add it later if it seems weak. Will that pump support dredging?

I use mine for dredging also. I have a 2.5" dredge nozzle and a 2.5" Hydroforce nozzle that I use with my highbanker. That's why I decided to buy the High Pressure Honda WH15 water pump. It works fantastic for the type of dredging that I do and regular highbanking (I just throttle it back for highbanking...really puts out the water). I purchased an adapter from Gold Fever Prospecting that attaches to the end of my dredge hose and connects to the header in the same hole that I have my plumbing for regular highbanking. You can find them on ebay for about $25. Fits great and works awesome.

Here's a linky: Dredge Adapter by Jobe

Here's a vid of how mine is used with hydroforce dredging and regular highbanking (not trying to bore you. I just thought it may help). The first 4 minutes shows both.

I hope this helps...and, Good Luck on your build.

Last edited:

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Good choice. My sluice is .080 and the hopper is .125. My Drywasher is 0.63, you will have no issues.

OP
OP
K

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How about posting some pictures when you've got it all done?

All the best,

Lanny

I will def do that. I just got back from my shop and got it all bent up. Stopped and got rivets and bolts and wingnuts on the way home. $26 at Home Depot. $169 so far.

Last edited:

Tophunt

Greenie
Dec 4, 2013
Mesa,AZ
Detector(s) used
Old beat up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kaz, your a buzy man, will you have it done by next weekend and need a truck? Good choice on the thicker material. It should bend up easy and be plenty strong. I picked up a Royal highbanker today, it's not very big, but a start.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread