Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
fossils rocks spheres.JPG

This is my 6th rock garden project. It is my first since joining Treasurenet and learning a little bit about what I have at my fingertips. It started a couple weeks ago when we had to have some excavation done to improve a couple waterways on the farm. Knowing there were going to be a lot of rocks turned up, I decided it was time to start the rock garden project. Above pic is of all the fossils, neat rocks, and possibles I found. Now my education in fossils and such was way, way back in elementary school. I may have my ID's wrong, and mostly, I just don't know. Feel free to correct. That's how I am going to learn.

I found lots of brachiopods.

brachiopods 1.JPG
brachiopods 2.JPG
brachiopods 3.JPG
brachiopods 4.JPG
brachiopods 5.JPG
brachiopods 6.JPG
brachiopods 8.JPG

This little rock caught my eye. It is red like a rose granite. I loved the plaid pattern that the calcium made. At least, I think it is calcium.

cooll little red rock 1.JPG

cooll little red rock 2.JPG

I believe these are crinoids: ( Don't be afraid to correct me, if I am wrong:laughing9:)

crinoid attachment.JPG

crinoid attachment 2.JPG

Ooh! I have to tell the story behind this one. I was frantically trying to beat the setting sun and get one more load of rocks in. I am digging away and the corner of my eye spied this little guy. I thought, OOOH, maybe it;s a button or a bead!" I threw it in my pocket for later. It's not a button or a bead, but I can't say I am disappointed. I think it is pretty cool. I believe it is a crinoid stem section/void.

crinoid stem section or void.JPG

Possible coral:

possible coral.JPG

possible fossil (my eyes see a teeny tiny creature in there, but my eyes are old)

possible fossil 1.JPG

Possible petrified bone fragment. (looks like bone to me)

possible petrified bone.JPG

Possible spherical concretion:

spherical concretion 1.JPG

We found another about 12 +/- years ago. Here they are side by side. They are golf ball size.

spherical concretion 2.JPG

Here is the finished project:

rock garden 6.1.JPG

Strategically placed highlights:

rock garden 6.3.JPG

rock garden 6.2.JPG

That rock in the center of the border in the pic above, I think is a cool looking rock. So I tried to make it stand out.

Tuesday afternoon I went out and walked the field like I was doing a detail. If you were in the service, you may remember detail walks :BangHead:. Finally! Finally! I found an Original inhabitant"s artifact! A tip of a point.

tip of point 1.JPG

tip of point 2.JPG

Before I go, here are a few other fossils I have found since we have had this property:

brachiopods 7.JPG

fossils previously found 1.JPG

fossils previously found 2.JPG

fossils previously found 3.JPG

fossils previously found 4.JPG

fossils previously found 5.JPG

Thanks for looking!

~WannaDig3687

Last edited:

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you were right on track with most but I don’t see crinoids in these I see a shell missing the top and I would guess a horn coral.
48D5A571-F17A-4FEC-8C89-EDD7754ABDC5.jpeg

Also have to say I have doubts that your bone is bone. But I like the rest, the sponge/coral looking deal is cool I’ve only found one of those so far

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I think you were right on track with most but I don’t see crinoids in these I see a shell missing the top and I would guess a horn coral. View attachment 1987709
Also have to say I have doubts that your bone is bone. But I like the rest, the sponge/coral looking deal is cool I’ve only found one of those so far
Thank you very much for the feedback. I was just matching the pics up with others on the net. I know very little about fossils. Now you have given me something to look up. Horn coral.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1986365

This is my 6th rock garden project. It is my first since joining Treasurenet and learning a little bit about what I have at my fingertips. It started a couple weeks ago when we had to have some excavation done to improve a couple waterways on the farm. Knowing there were going to be a lot of rocks turned up, I decided it was time to start the rock garden project. Above pic is of all the fossils, neat rocks, and possibles I found. Now my education in fossils and such was way, way back in elementary school. I may have my ID's wrong, and mostly, I just don't know. Feel free to correct. That's how I am going to learn.

I found lots of brachiopods.

View attachment 1986366 View attachment 1986367 View attachment 1986368 View attachment 1986369 View attachment 1986370 View attachment 1986371 View attachment 1986373

This little rock caught my eye. It is red like a rose granite. I loved the plaid pattern that the calcium made. At least, I think it is calcium.

View attachment 1986376

View attachment 1986377

I believe these are crinoids: ( Don't be afraid to correct me, if I am wrong:laughing9:)

View attachment 1986378

View attachment 1986379

Ooh! I have to tell the story behind this one. I was frantically trying to beat the setting sun and get one more load of rocks in. I am digging away and the corner of my eye spied this little guy. I thought, OOOH, maybe it;s a button or a bead!" I threw it in my pocket for later. It's not a button or a bead, but I can't say I am disappointed. I think it is pretty cool. I believe it is a crinoid stem section/void.

View attachment 1986380

Possible coral:

View attachment 1986381

possible fossil (my eyes see a teeny tiny creature in there, but my eyes are old)

View attachment 1986382

Possible petrified bone fragment. (looks like bone to me)

View attachment 1986383
Possible spherical concretion:

View attachment 1986384

We found another about 12 +/- years ago. Here they are side by side. They are golf ball size.

View attachment 1986385

Here is the finished project:

View attachment 1986386

Strategically placed highlights:

View attachment 1986388
View attachment 1986387

That rock in the center of the border in the pic above, I think is a cool looking rock. So I tried to make it stand out.

Tuesday afternoon I went out and walked the field like I was doing a detail. If you were in the service, you may remember detail walks :BangHead:. Finally! Finally! I found an Original inhabitant"s artifact! A tip of a point.

View attachment 1986389

View attachment 1986390

Before I go, here are a few other fossils I have found since we have had this property:

View attachment 1986372

View attachment 1986391

View attachment 1986392

View attachment 1986393

View attachment 1986394

View attachment 1986395

Thanks for looking!

~WannaDig3687
WD. Beautiful recoveries and very nice detail ..Well Done

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread