What's new

Bull Run Artillery Fuse-like relic What is it??

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2006
Messages
1,601
Reaction score
57
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Hello All,

I dug this today in an area where plenty of CW relics have been dug... it was dug about 15 yards from where a Parrot shell fuse was found about the same time. I am very new to Civil War Artillery and have no idea what this is?? I compared it to the fuse dug today and it has the same threading except this one has a taper to it versus the Parrot being even.

Maybe it is a shipping plug?? I found a couple online that "sort of"look like it..???

Any ideas???

Thanks,
MB
 

Attachments

  • top.webp
    top.webp
    45.6 KB · Views: 625
  • bottom.webp
    bottom.webp
    59.4 KB · Views: 627
  • side.webp
    side.webp
    44.9 KB · Views: 591

Attachments

  • faucet seat.webp
    faucet seat.webp
    2.1 KB · Views: 615
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
72cheyenne said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Thanks for the great pictures and size reference. :thumbsup:A dark background often helps the camera focus on a dark item. Im not saying for sure, because its kinda big, but it looks like a shower faucet valve seat. http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/5...px?page=3&sortBy=supplier.sortOrder,prod.prod

This is what I thought of first too because we sell them at our store, but......I have never seen a faucet seat that was over an inch in diameter. :icon_scratch:
No, I havent either and would have to check my books. The inside square where the wrench goes in appears to be close to the correct size. The main part thats large is the outside diameter. Maybe an older version. Just something to think about.
 

Attachments

  • faucet seat wrench.webp
    faucet seat wrench.webp
    6 KB · Views: 593
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
72cheyenne said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Thanks for the great pictures and size reference. :thumbsup:A dark background often helps the camera focus on a dark item. Im not saying for sure, because its kinda big, but it looks like a shower faucet valve seat. http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/5...px?page=3&sortBy=supplier.sortOrder,prod.prod

This is what I thought of first too because we sell them at our store, but......I have never seen a faucet seat that was over an inch in diameter. :icon_scratch:
No, I havent either and would have to check my books. The inside square where the wrench goes in appears to be close to the correct size. The main part thats large is the outside diameter. Maybe an older version. Just something to think about.

Yes, the square part is what made me think faucet seat. If it is a faucet seat, think about how large the faucet stem would've had to been, because that seat would've had to go down through that hole.
 
Upvote 0
Its a 20-30 pound parrot fuse, thought maybe a schile nose but I think they were more solid not all parrot fuses were even ill try to find a pic of the shell
 

Attachments

  • 20 lb.webp
    20 lb.webp
    25.9 KB · Views: 595
Upvote 0
I can't quite make out the lettering in the photo, MB.... what does it say?
 
Upvote 0
heres a pic with the spherical fuse
 

Attachments

  • iiia92.webp
    iiia92.webp
    18.1 KB · Views: 565
Upvote 0
cwdigger said:
heres a pic with the spherical fuse

Ok the irony is ... when I matched it up to the nose piece of a shell I dug.. there is a secondary groove that the outer ring fits in perfectly...however it does not look like any other fuse I can find??

MB
 
Upvote 0
72cheyenne said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Thanks for the great pictures and size reference. :thumbsup:A dark background often helps the camera focus on a dark item. Im not saying for sure, because its kinda big, but it looks like a shower faucet valve seat. http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/5...px?page=3&sortBy=supplier.sortOrder,prod.prod

This is what I thought of first too because we sell them at our store, but......I have never seen a faucet seat that was over an inch in diameter. :icon_scratch:

Given the area i dug this.. hard to say that is what it is.. but trash ends up anywhere and everywhere sooo maybe? The thing that gets me is the threads are the same as a Parrot fuse?? and one was dug pretty close to where I found this..

MB
 
Upvote 0
72cheyenne said:
Yes, the square part is what made me think faucet seat. If it is a faucet seat, think about how large the faucet stem would've had to been, because that seat would've had to go down through that hole.
Well I thought about it and looked in my books. They actually do make faucet washers over 1 inch diameter. http://www.doityourself.com/invt/u116076 So the seat would need to be bigger as well. As far as the faucet stem, it is usually much smaller than the retainer part that holds the washer and is held in place by the packing nut.

ADDED: note these valve stem pics do not show the seat.

But Im not saying for sure. I know nothing about CW artillery fuses. Unless you are finding other home items at this site, it very well may be CW.
 

Attachments

  • plumbing valve stems.gif
    plumbing valve stems.gif
    22.1 KB · Views: 1,804
Upvote 0
Big Cypress,

Would you think poorly of me if I pointed out that the valve stem assemblies you have posted diagrams of do not show the replaceable seat, which is found in the body of the housing they thread into?

The faucet seat wrench diagram shows one being worked on.

Yes, I'm pretty much a journeyman plumber with a bunch of experience.
I have not seen a seat in the configuration of the OP. Too wide. But that doesn't a whole lot.

Best
rmptr
 
Upvote 0
rmptr said:
Big Cypress,

Would you think poorly of me if I pointed out that the valve stem assemblies you have posted diagrams of do not show the replaceable seat, which is found in the body of the housing they thread into?

The faucet seat wrench diagram shows one being worked on.

Yes, I'm pretty much a journeyman plumber with a bunch of experience.
I have not seen a seat in the configuration of the OP. Too wide. But that doesn't a whole lot.

Best
rmptr
LOL I do not think poorly of you and YES I realize the last diagram of faucet stems does NOT show the seat. My first two pics do of course. Thanks for being nice. I was merely pointing out with the last pic to cheyenne that the stem does not have to be the same diameter of the hole it goes in. I am not a journeyman plumber only A/C certified, but I have changed hundreds of stems and some seats working as head of maintenance and I have NEVER seen one that size either. (I also stayed at Holiday Inn) My question to you is if they sell faucet washers that are over 1-1/8 inch dia, wouldnt the seat also be large? ???

To sum things up, I do not believe it is a faucet seat and maybe I shouldnt have posted but it does resemble one IMO. I thought maybe one that I havent seen.
 
Upvote 0
Its all very good info Bigcy, I am also familiar with the whole faucet body configurations (hardware store owner). I knew that there was some large faucet washers, I just have never seen a seat that large. It very much does look like a seat, but I think most likely its not. All this info will hopefully inform those that don't know though....thats what we're here for.
 
Upvote 0
Yes I understand. I have never seen a seat this large either and I think you are right most likely it is not. But my book shows they make a 1-9/64" dia. washer (larger than 1-1/8") Do you have these in your store? I dont recall replacing any washers this large, but if they make a washer this large, wouldnt it be reasonable to think that the seat would be large as well to match? I was thinking on early type old outside faucets that use the large sizes. old_faucet.webp
 
Upvote 0
We only carry up through 3/4" faucet washers. Outside faucet could be very possible for that big of a washer and seat. Believe it or not I have never seen the "guts" of one of those "older" hose bibbs, most likely because when one wears out the whole bibb is replaced rather than just the seat or washer. The next time a customer brings one in I will "sacrifice it for the knowledge of greater good" if you know what I mean.
 
Upvote 0
I've never used anything large as 1 1/8 washer in a tap. I may have used them for spacers to get something away from vibration, though.

Most the hose bibs I've seen don't have a replaceable seat.

I've used my seat cutter to clean them up before, but as 72 says, usually just replace them.

Only thing worse than a non-replaceable seat is a washer-less faucet.
...Someone's great, new-fangled idea!...

I'm very surprised there is no positive ID on this piece, yet!

Best
rmptr
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
72cheyenne said:
We only carry up through 3/4" faucet washers. Outside faucet could be very possible for that big of a washer and seat. Believe it or not I have never seen the "guts" of one of those "older" hose bibbs, most likely because when one wears out the whole bibb is replaced rather than just the seat or washer. The next time a customer brings one in I will "sacrifice it for the knowledge of greater good" if you know what I mean.
Some of the older ones had replaceable seats but I rarely did that. Its easier to replace the whole bib in our modern through-away society.

I hear ya there. Even our cars are throw away.
 
Upvote 0
rmptr said:
I can't quite make out the lettering in the photo, MB.... what does it say?

sorry, I missed this post? There are not any letters on it..just a bit of corrosion.

MB
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
72cheyenne said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Thanks for the great pictures and size reference. :thumbsup:A dark background often helps the camera focus on a dark item. Im not saying for sure, because its kinda big, but it looks like a shower faucet valve seat. http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/5...px?page=3&sortBy=supplier.sortOrder,prod.prod

This is what I thought of first too because we sell them at our store, but......I have never seen a faucet seat that was over an inch in diameter. :icon_scratch:
No, I havent either and would have to check my books. The inside square where the wrench goes in appears to be close to the correct size. The main part thats large is the outside diameter. Maybe an older version. Just something to think about.

If it helps the inside square is 3/8" square.. maybe it is a faucet seat but it is huge if it is... ???

MB
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom