What's new

Bullet Help Please

72cheyenne

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
25
Golden Thread
0
Location
Mansfield, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's M6, White's 6000di/pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These bullets were also found by a friend. Sorry for the pic quality. I believe the first one is a .58 cal. three ringer and I have no idea on the second one, maybe a cleaner type bullet. I have no idea on bullets. I appreciate the help.

The first three pics are of the first bullet, and the last two pics are the second bullet.
 

Attachments

  • 2010-03-17-12.36.50.webp
    2010-03-17-12.36.50.webp
    40.8 KB · Views: 255
  • 2010-03-17-12.37.03.webp
    2010-03-17-12.37.03.webp
    30.2 KB · Views: 242
  • 2010-03-17-12.37.24.webp
    2010-03-17-12.37.24.webp
    45.4 KB · Views: 262
  • 2010-03-17-12.37.55.webp
    2010-03-17-12.37.55.webp
    39.4 KB · Views: 261
  • 2010-03-17-12.38.10.webp
    2010-03-17-12.38.10.webp
    61.6 KB · Views: 241
I checked the McKee and Mason Pojectiles book and your second bullet looks like a .54 Caliber Sharps Carbine bullet. Used by both sides during the war. I could be wrong though. I am sure someone with more knowledge will have a better answer.
 
Upvote 0
And it appears, from my chair, to have been carved on...d2
 
Upvote 0
Your second bullet is a carved three ring sharps.
 
Upvote 0
Youre second bullet is a confederate Ringtail or tiebase sharps ( same bullet just 2 different names) that has been carved on.
 
Upvote 0
vayank54 said:
Youre second bullet is a confederate Ringtail or tiebase sharps ( same bullet just 2 different names) that has been carved on.

The four ringer sharps is a confederate bullet but the 3 ringer sharps are both and most are actually union. The tale tell sign of a 3 ring sharps (tiebase,ringtail) to be confederate is in the caliber.
 
Upvote 0
The 4 ringers are rare and are confederate. I know in the books have the .52's listed as both but about 99% of them are found in CS camps. The .44's are more often found in union camps though. There is a .52 sharps that has a very light ring at the bottom that everyone is this area always called a ring base. that bullet is union.
 
Upvote 0
I appreciate all the replies. So the first bullet is the common .58 cal. minnie ball, and the second is a .52 cal Sharps, possibly confederate, that has been carved on a bit at the base. The area that these were found had both CS and Union troops so I have no way of knowing what group dropped them for sure. Thanks for all the help and IDs. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
vayank54 said:
The 4 ringers are rare and are confederate. I know in the books have the .52's listed as both but about 99% of them are found in CS camps. The .44's are more often found in union camps though. There is a .52 sharps that has a very light ring at the bottom that everyone is this area always called a ring base. that bullet is union.

:thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
72cheyenne said:
I appreciate all the replies. So the first bullet is the common .58 cal. minnie ball, and the second is a .52 cal Sharps, possibly confederate, that has been carved on a bit at the base. The area that these were found had both CS and Union troops so I have no way of knowing what group dropped them for sure. Thanks for all the help and IDs. :thumbsup:

Well I would not say its a common .58 cal. mini ball just yet. There were many different variates of 3 ring mini balls. I can give you a real close idea of what you have if you can get the calibers and weigh & measure them. Regardless the 2nd bullet with the rings is carved and I really like carved bullets.
 
Upvote 0
DirtyMike said:
72cheyenne said:
I appreciate all the replies. So the first bullet is the common .58 cal. minnie ball, and the second is a .52 cal Sharps, possibly confederate, that has been carved on a bit at the base. The area that these were found had both CS and Union troops so I have no way of knowing what group dropped them for sure. Thanks for all the help and IDs. :thumbsup:

Well I would not say its a common .58 cal. mini ball just yet. There were many different variates of 3 ring mini balls. I can give you a real close idea of what you have if you can get the calibers and weigh & measure them. Regardless the 2nd bullet with the rings is carved and I really like carved bullets.

Hey thanks DirtyMike. I will get the bullets and the CS tongue buckle back soon and get the weights and measurements better. I'm really new to CW relics and would like to pinpoint the details of these such relics as much as possible. CW relics are pretty rare here in the Western theater, and I would like to gather as much info on each item as possible. I will update this post with the measurements and weight soon. Thanks very much again guys. :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom