Bullet ID help.

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Found this bullet in Powhatan, Va. Not sure if it is current or possibly CW. Should have included it in the pic but it's (although not round) the size of a quarter.Rang up on my MD in the "AL Zn" section of the screen. (btw what do these letters stand for because I know the AL isn't aluminum. I think the Zn is zinc? I was never good at chemistry. ;) anyways, just wandering if anyone knows how to id a bullet from these pics. It weighs 18 grams, or 0.6 oz. I sure hope it's a CW bullet. It'd be my first.

If not, anyone have any good ways to tell them apart when they're this smashed? I have yet to find a CW bullet (even here in Va!) and I am getting overly optimistic with everything I find. Soon I'll be mistaking bird shot for grape shot!

hasbeen

Jan 4, 2006
Al is the symbol for aluminum,Zn is zinc.If the bullet weight is known in grains,it would help to identify it.A picture with an object of known size such a coin would possibly allow it to be identified.

hasbeen

Upvote 0
OP
OP
captain Jack

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I don't know the weight in grains unless someone knows the formula from oz or grams. It is the size of a quarter, minus the fact that the bullet isn't completely round. hope that helps some?

Upvote 0

SomeGuy

Jun 26, 2005
1 gram = approx. 15.43 grains, 18 grams = about 278 grains.

If pure lead, and IF my math is correct, (don't bet on it) this would make a sphere of about .57 caliber.

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldn't have a clue without a picture. There's only about a thousand different bullets that would match that description. And, I've never seen a bullet that wasn't round except a "tround" made for a gyrojet pistol. Monty

Upvote 0

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
captain Jack said:
Found this bullet in Powhatan, Va. Not sure if it is current or possibly CW. Should have included it in the pic but it's (although not round) the size of a quarter.Rang up on my MD in the "AL Zn" section of the screen. (btw what do these letters stand for because I know the AL isn't aluminum. I think the Zn is zinc? I was never good at chemistry. ;) anyways, just wandering if anyone knows how to id a bullet from these pics. It weighs 18 grams, or 0.6 oz. I sure hope it's a CW bullet. It'd be my first.

If not, anyone have any good ways to tell them apart when they're this smashed? I have yet to find a CW bullet (even here in Va!) and I am getting overly optimistic with everything I find. Soon I'll be mistaking bird shot for grape shot!

Captain Jack.........there are no pics with your post.

ToddB64

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread