What's new

Bullet ID?

montanagold

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2008
Messages
311
Reaction score
190
Golden Thread
0
Location
Montana
Detector(s) used
Curently the AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You guys have been such a great resource. I found the two bullets on the right this past weekend and not sure what they are. I took a picture with the miniball for comparison. The one in the middle is the one I am most interested in because if you notice the bottom it is a hex shape, this is all the way up the sides. Any info would be great thanks.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0256.webp
    IMG_0256.webp
    84.4 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0257.webp
    IMG_0257.webp
    80.2 KB · Views: 228
All 3 are civil war period. the first is a .58 caliber 3 ring mini which is an infantry bullet. The second is a fired carbine bullet. I'm not sure because of the shape it's in but I think it might be a Merrill. The third is a fired ringtail sharps carbine. The second and third bulllets would have been used by cavalry
 
Upvote 0
vayank54 said:
All 3 are civil war period. the first is a .58 caliber 3 ring mini which is an infantry bullet. The second is a fired carbine bullet. I'm not sure because of the shape it's in but I think it might be a Merrill. The third is a fired ringtail sharps carbine. The second and third bulllets would have been used by cavalry

Wow quick precise I.D :notworthy:
Nice finds by the way !! Like the ringtail.
 
Upvote 0
withworth southern sniper rounds were hex shaped. :wink:
 
Upvote 0
Great finds and neat info,Thanks Guys!! :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Whitworths were long narrow .44 and had no rings. The one in the pic looks to be a .52 or 54 and has rings. the hexagonal shape of the bullet is from being fired
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom