What's new

Bullet with a big tail

kyphote

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2010
Messages
585
Reaction score
52
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This doesn't strike me as the most aerodynamic bullet ever. Thoughts? Thanks.
 

Attachments

  • flappybullet.webp
    flappybullet.webp
    60.9 KB · Views: 591
Lipstick tube. :D
 
Upvote 0
kyphote said:
RPG said:
Lipstick tube. :D
I deserved that. :'(

I had to do it. :wink:

On a more serious note. I really don't know what you have there. At first I thought, some sort of cleaner but that doesn't fit. Maybe a homemade bullet, someones try at making a new style bullet. Maybe they thought the flat part at the base would have more knockdown power. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
I don;t think it is a bullet, but have no clue what it is.
 
Upvote 0
Ramitt said:
I don;t think it is a bullet, but have no clue what it is.

I've definitely had doubts about it being a bullet but there looks to have been a high-speed impact. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
It may be a Gardner bullet that does not have the bottom crimped. They were cast with the bottom bent out that way, then the paper cartridge was inserted and the bottom crimped down over the paper cartridge to hold onto the bullet. Not for sure on this one. I will keep looking.
 

Attachments

  • gardner.webp
    gardner.webp
    12 KB · Views: 533
  • gardner1.webp
    gardner1.webp
    24.3 KB · Views: 545
Upvote 0
The one I posted has been crimped but someone carved on it and pried the crimp up on the bottom.
 
Upvote 0
Maybe a variation of one of these? The fact that the wing is wider than the body is still confusing though...
 

Attachments

  • cleaners.webp
    cleaners.webp
    27.5 KB · Views: 510
Upvote 0
DirtyMike said:
The one I posted has been crimped but someone carved on it and pried the crimp up on the bottom.

On second thought, I think I'm buying into your uncrimped Gardner theory. In fact, looking at the similarities I think I'm fully bought in. About to green check this one. Brilliant call in my humble opinion. :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0
I have seen a few of these in collections that were not crimped.
 
Upvote 0
Lead is very malliable and "flows" into all kinds of odd shapes when it hits something hard. My guess would be the "tail" was formed on impact. Lead bullets are "only" going 1,000 fps or so but they spin at 100,000 rpm (about 20X faster than a screaming car engine - a modern 5.56 NATO about 250,000 rpm! A Dremel tool only spins 18,000 rpm). When that suddenly stops wild things can happen.
 
Upvote 0
It could be that it was a partial casting also. In the picture of the bottom it looks slanted like it was not fully cast. And the top is similar to half cast I have seen before.
 
Upvote 0
I see what your saying and lead is soft and pliable. Although if it were to have hit something the impact would push the lead. And it would be a noticeable curl or mushroom effect. On this particular bullet there appears to be lead missing. And the bottom appears to have been sat on something flat while still hot maybe.
 
Upvote 0
I agree that its malformation was more likely due to a painful birth versus a powerful impact. Some of it seems too jagged and manipulated as if a perfect mold never occurred. Kind of a half-a$$ / experimental job. If they can shape bullets to look like male genitalia, they have what it takes to forge this monstrosity.
 
Upvote 0
I think it is a musket bullet of some type. I don't see any rifling marks, therefore the bullet would not have much spin if any. The skirts were made thin so as to flare out and better seal the gas in the chamber and barrel. The bore of the old muskets could vary quite a bit and it wouldn't be unusual for the base to be larger from firing. If it struck something solid it would lose some of it's mass. Bullets nearly always lose some of it's weight on impact. A ricochet off the ground for instance would cause it to lose more on one side than on the other. I don't see anything unusual about it's shape after firing and striking something solid. Just what kind or brand of bullet will be almost impossible to ascertain due to it's damage. Therefore to say it's a minnie ball probably of the civil war era is probably as close as you will get. Monty
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom