54.2 KB · Views: 248

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
fjudd94 said:
I found this in my front yard. I know it is a bullet but I don't know what kind or when it was used.

Looks like a wadcutter or semi-wadcutter to me. They are used mostly for paper targets. Nice clean hole. Easy to see from a distance:

00bulletcuwad.jpg

FOR102.gif

It also looks like a lot of lead for such a short cartridge. Maybe someone was messing around while reloading.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fjudd94

fjudd94

Sep 14, 2006
DUBOIS, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, there are no marks on it just the hollow tip,I put another pic. I appreciate your help.

Attachments

• bullet 002.jpg
    bullet 002.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 226
Upvote 0

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
From the looks of the 1st two pics, it looks like there was also a cartride case. ??? It appears way too long for just a bullet and it looked like it had a bottleneck case. Is there no primer on the bottom?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fjudd94

fjudd94

Sep 14, 2006
DUBOIS, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cartridge case is there. the tip is all lead but the primer is missing, or appears to be. I have never seen one that the projectile is bigger than the casing. Thanks for all the help.

Upvote 0

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
Make this a non-expert appraisal of your cartridge, Fjudd.
The cartridge case looks like a 45 caliber pistol round.
The bullet looks like a wadcutter that is not fully seated (pushed in to the case).
The missing primer may mean it was never finished being reloaded.
I find a lot of 45 cal. cases in backwood camping areas and unfortunatly when I dig one there will also be a half-dozen more where a target shooter emptied his clip.

Upvote 0

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
silverswede said:
Make this a non-expert appraisal of your cartridge, Fjudd.
The cartridge case looks like a 45 caliber pistol round.
The bullet looks like a wadcutter that is not fully seated (pushed in to the case).
The missing primer may mean it was never finished being reloaded.
I find a lot of 45 cal. cases in backwood camping areas and unfortunatly when I dig one there will also be a half-dozen more where a target shooter emptied his clip.

I would agree that it looks like a .45. But the slug looks far to long for the case, partially seated or not. The fact that the primer is missing might be a clue that someone joined a rifle slug to a pistol/revolver case with no intent of firing it. Inserting the primer occurs before adding the charge and seating the bullet. Someone may have made a novelty for a keychain or necklace. Since it is an unjacketed hollow point I doubt it was intended for a semiautomatic pistol, it looks too long for a revolver cylinder and the case looks too small for a rifle round. In any case, it doesn't look like a stable bullet configuration. I doubt it would travel smoothly, and may not even travel down the barrell without leaving a lot of lead in the grooves.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread