Bumper Jack, Barbwire Fence Stretcher???

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE

Attachments

• What is it.JPG
    What is it.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 1,733

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WAY TOO LITE FOR A TRACTOR JACK, besides it operates in the wrong direction. It does look like a barbed wire strecher. Tony

Upvote 0

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it's a T post puller or a wire stretcher. here are pic's of both. The wire stretcher on the left and the post puller on the right. HH :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee

Attachments

• wire-puller.jpg
    wire-puller.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 2,355
Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Just tagging for updates - plus a few observations ...

1. The grooved support on the left for holding in place but not lifting.
2. Top "locking pin" to secure support in place to rod.
3. The handle for setting pin on top once support is positioned.
4. Possible missing foot-plate - otherwise would sink into ground.
5. Possibly not intended to set on the ground.
6. Handle not for cranking/turning.
7. Hook on top for handhold.
8. Chain - :dontknow:

9. Questions:

A. Is that all there is to the chain - or does it reel/spool out?
B. Are there grooves/slots in the rod?

My initial guess is that it is a support of some type for holding a timber in place, as in construction, scaffold, mining, railroad, with the pointed end of the rod driven into another timber. :icon_scratch:

Thanks.

SBB

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
I'm almost ashamed to admit that it's probably going to take more brain cells than I have to figure out what that thing is. I'm starting to suspect (as texastee2007 suggested) that it may be missing some parts. But even if this isn't the case, I'm still stumped. I've searched everything I could think of from A to Z, but still came up with zilch!

Again, unless it's missing something, I really don't think it's a type of jack. A jack would surely have some type of leverage feature, which the item doesn't appear to have. I printed a picture of it, and after studying it in great detail, certain features seem apparent to me, as well as some that still confuse me. For example ...

Note: All of the following is based entirely on "assumption" and "guesswork."

I'm convinced that ...

1. The pointed end of the rod is intended for driving into something like wood or the ground.

2. The gripping "foot" on the left is intended to support something.

3. The so called gear part with the handle - locking pin - chain - is intended to adjust the height of the "foot" and lock it in place.

4. The curved end of the rod is a handhold for positioning and pulling it out of whatever it was stuck or driven into.

What confuses me most is why the knobed handle is on the same side as the foot. It seems to me the handle would be in the way of whatever the foot supported. :icon_scratch:

So the bottom line for me is, it was intended as a "temporary tool" to hold something in position at various heights until whatever was being done was completed. With the following example as my best guesses.

After the rod was driven into the ground or wood - with possibly more than one being used at the same time ...

1. To hold a length of pipe in position until it could be fitted or soldered.

2. To hold a section of sheet metal or siding in place until it was secured. (But knobed handle on wrong side for this).

3. To hold a piece of wood or timber in place until it could be secured.

4. To hold wire in place (like on an electric or telephone pole) until the proper height or sag was determined.

I could list other examples, but you probably get my general idea by now.

In other words, I don't have a clue what it is, and suspect it will require someone who has seen one before to fully identify it.

If nothing else, maybe there is a clue to be found in my observations.

SBB

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
texastee2007 ~

We really need more information/clues. Such as ... does it work or is it corroded tight? I am assumming the knobed handle is merely for releasing the "gear" where the set pin locks down. But I'm not sure and need more info about this feature. The chain may be a quick release of some kind, or possibly for nailing the whole thing to something so it doesn't come loose and fall off. :dontknow: But we still need to know if the chain is short or reels out? If it reels out, then I'm really confused! :icon_scratch:

Lastly ...

The picture below is primarily for fun and the "bumper jack" theorist among us. It shows an assortment of antique wagon jacks which have both pluses and minuses going for them ...

Pluses + ..... Most show what I call the foot supports - plus some have the chains.

Minuses - ... Most have leverage bars of some type for lifting.

SBB :dontknow:

Attachments

• Wagon Jacks.jpg
    Wagon Jacks.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 2,228
  • A What Is It (2).jpg
    A What Is It (2).jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 1,092
Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Food for thought ...

My current research is focusing on "Jackstands" and/or some type of safety-type of backup support/jack just in case the real leveraging/cranking type of jack should fail. But as usual, I ain't found nothin' yet!

SBB

[ Pictured is a typical jackstand - but only as an example and not the type I'm looking for ]

Attachments

• Jackstand (444x476).jpg
    Jackstand (444x476).jpg
    52 KB · Views: 1,242
Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
I'm joining the texastee2007 spaghetti club with another wild thought ...

How'z about a "Trailer or Farm Impliment" tounge support? The "foot" slips into a slot on the trailer/impliment and supports it when not in use. :dontknow:

SBB

[ Example picture - but looking for older antique type that may have had a steel footplate. ]

Attachments

• Trailer Tounge Support.jpg
    Trailer Tounge Support.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 1,277
Upvote 0

RHoward

Mar 1, 2008
Martin City, Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett-GTA1000, Money Hunter BFO, Minelab E-Trac & Garrett Pro Pointer
Looks like an old style come-along. Handle to crank a ratchet to hold in place while getting a new grip with handle, a hook for cable to object to be pulled.

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
"...but why the flat lifting/holding lever?"

Maybe it was specially designed (and came with the trailer) to fit straight-in on a part of the trailer tounge where the knob deal wouldn't be a concern. And the chain was a safety feature to secure it in place just in case they hit a bump and it came loose. :dontknow:

Just fishing here and hoping for a nibble. :fish:

SBB

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
This is mainly for those who either don't have the time to do their own research or are just plain curious as to what a typical wire stretcher looks like.

I realize the book is still open on this topic, and there are variations of wire stretchers not shown here, but personally I have ruled these out.

But even with this said, I still don't know what the dang thing is. :icon_scratch:

SBB

1st .... Antique end-line wire stretcher.
2nd ... Modern in-line wire stretcher.
3rd ... Modern "come-along."

Attachments

• Wire Stretcher Antique (654x407).jpg
    Wire Stretcher Antique (654x407).jpg
    34 KB · Views: 6,905
  • Wire Stretcher Modern.jpg
    Wire Stretcher Modern.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 3,321
  • Wire Stretcher - Comealong - modern (246x242).jpg
    Wire Stretcher - Comealong - modern (246x242).jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 5,726
Upvote 0

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should probably post this under the section of "how well do you read posts" - but, I saw the question, and cannot pick out the answer - if it was given, about that chain. How long is it, and does it crank in and out with that handle/knobby thing?

I'm pretty well convinced that the one "step" is for a foot to dig the device into the ground, or whatever, but, such a small handle, and what exactly is it doing - driving my limited brain-cells insane, too.

And, just when we finally figured out the egg counter. :help: :help: :laughing7:

Beth

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Ant ~

A few itemized questions for you.

Thanks.

SBB

1. Does the rod have slots in it?

2. Is this a full gear that spins? And does the "pin" lock in place? If so, exactly how
is this achieved?

3. Is this portion of the handle rod fixed in place on top of a flange, or is it free to
move?

4. Does the knob on the end of the handle spin?

5. Does the chain "reel" out, or is it short? If short, how is it attached? And is the
loop on the end big enough to fit over the handhold portion of the rod as TT's
hubby suggested?

6. Does the bottom of the main rod come to a true point?

P.S.Q. Is that an axel sticking out in the center of the gear?

Thanks a lot. No hurry. Just whenever you get a minute.

Attachments

• A What Is It - Questions.jpg
    A What Is It - Questions.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 880
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions