Bumper Jack, Barbwire Fence Stretcher???

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE

Attachments

• What is it.JPG
    What is it.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 1,734

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
This would be so much easier with specific information and clear, close up pictures. But since that doesn't appear to be forthcoming, I will do the best I can with the following. (Either that, or just call it quits altogether). :dontknow:

Anyway, what I am attempting here is to focus on specific areas with the enlarged picture below. Unfortunately, enlargements get blurry, but I still think it will help.

Note: I still don't believe the handle was intended for turning. But rather a "full-curl spring-tension" feature intended to release the inner gear of the ratchet. If you zoom in or print out a larger picture of it as I have, I believe you will be able to better understand what I am referring to. In the meantime, I will do my best to walk you through features 1. thru 6 - which include some additional observations.

1. Possible word(s) or numbers.
2. Ratchet gear shaft axle - "protruding out" for some reason.
3. End of "coil tension rod." (Secured ? )
4. Protruding "flange" where "tension rod" either "rest" or is "fixed tight."
5. Possible more word(s) or numbers. (I realize what Ant said about the H002)
6. Possible "rivet pin" where chain is attached. (May not reel out).

I fully realize how much easier it would be to have all of this clarified rather than these endless guesses and assumptions, but it's all we have to go with at present.

And the only reason I am even bothering with this in the first place is to help support my main theory that ...

The handle is not for turning or cranking ...

But rather is a simple tension rod for setting/releasing the ratchet/pawl

Bottom line?

It is not a jack or anything similar!

The entire functioning portion of the mechanism is simply intended to allow the "foot" to be adjusted to different heights, and then "set/lock" it into place!

But what it was intended for after that - is anybody's guess!

(I'm still working on that part).

That's my theory - what's yours?

SBB

If it turns out that the chain does in fact reel out - then I have some theories about that as well. But in the meantime, I will stick with this one. The number one question for me is ...

Does the chain reel out?

Attachments

• A What Is It - extra (1).jpg
    A What Is It - extra (1).jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 686
  • A What Is It Cropped Enlarged - Painted.jpg
    A What Is It Cropped Enlarged - Painted.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 744
  • A What Is It - extra (1).jpg
    A What Is It - extra (1).jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 647
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ant

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Hi you all. First let me apologize for not giving the complete factual story. I only gave limited information because I wanted to keep myself anonymous. Folks on t-net know more about me than the folks on the Jesse’s. I have my reasons for that. But because so many people are interested I’ll let all know what really happened.

I’m a member of hunting and out doors site. The Administrator posted that photo in the campfire room/forum. Here is the thread: http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/showthread.php/219768-What-am-this-tool

I thought he was serious but come to find out he plays a game every now and then to see if anyone knows the what’itz is. I really didn’t know what it was and if you guys guessed it I would have posted it on Jesse’s page and I would have given you guys the credit.

Here’s how I think it works. But keep in mind that the tractor this jack was meant for must have had a wide wheelbase and 4 cylinder engine (not heavy), a huge transmission that was mounted center chasses, comparatively thin axles and tall wheels (easy to lift one wheel off the ground with that configuration). I would also say that it’s obvious the foot is missing from the pointed end.

• Blue. The notches on the rod might be there to hold the jack in place, I see several, and the opposite side might be lined with them.
  • Purple. This is the lift arm that must go under the axle close to the tire.
  • Yellow. This pin looks like it get knocked out and then reset when the lift arm against the axle.
  • Red. That’s the jack’s ratcheting system, the paw and gear.
  • Green. This must be the release handle that changes the jack’s direction
  • Black. This chain must be for jacking the jack up and down (may be a part missing to pull the chain.

That my opinion as a Mechanic, that what I do for a living, but that’s still just a guess on how it operates.

Attachments

• What is it 111.JPG
    What is it 111.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 679
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ant

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
SODABOTTLEBOB said:
Ant ~

Thanks. I know that "stuff happens."

Question: Does the owner know what it is "for sure" and can he prove it?

SBB

(I'm going to stick with my own theory for the time being).

The guy holding the tool is Jesses the Administrator, he posted it as a geuss it or what's-it. He knew what it was all along. If you go the link and scroll down the page you can see that spectr17 (Jeff "Jesse" James - Owner of Jesse's Hunting & Outdoors) says that he used the same jack as a kid. Most of the members on Jesse's thought it was something else too, but look what Jesse worte.

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Ant ~

No disrespect to you or the oldtimer, but I will need a magazine ad or a catalog that refers to it with a picture before I will ever be convinced that it's actually a tractor jack. I just don't see it! And believe me, I'm trying. :icon_scratch:

I'm not trying to be a pain in the butt either, that's just my opinion. The $20.00 still stands for anyone that can provide us with a manual - magazine - catalog - or newspaper ad with the item clearly pictured and described in it.

SBB

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
With all of this talk about tractors, I thought it might be fun to actually see one. The example below is from a 1947 magazine. I can't imagine one being any smaller than this and actually doing a day's work. So study it and try to imagine how the so called jack might work to lift it up and change a flat tire?

SBB

Attachments

• Ad - Tractor - 1947 (630x800).jpg
    Ad - Tractor - 1947 (630x800).jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 1,295
Upvote 0

Deftone

Jan 10, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all! :coffee2: What you have there is a weed chain bumper jack. Notice at the bottom of the hanging chain that there is a handle thingy. There is another handle thingy on top of the circle mechanism. Pull the chain up pull it down. The crank is to lock it in positin. I'll see if I can hunt down a pic of one. Prob missing a foot. HH :hello:

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Here is something you probably won't see again. 1916, 10" inch Weed Chain Jack. These were produced from 1915-1919 by the American Chain Company to make raising / lowering a car safe and effortless.

Attachments

• Weed Chain Jack - 2.jpg
    Weed Chain Jack - 2.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 1,897
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
So the flimsy crank handle is not used to jack up the car, it is only used to wind up the chain? And a base is missing? It still looks very lightweight construction for a bumper jack, esp the shaft but bumper jacks are not very strong so it may be possible with a base.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
texastee2007 said:
bigcypresshunter said:
So the flimsy crank handle is not used to jack up the car, it is only used to wind up the chain? And a base is missing? It still looks very lightweight construction for a bumper jack, esp the shaft but bumper jacks are not very strong so it may be possible with a base.

How would the handle work, especially under a tractor? I for one don't like to see people under a tractor that is raised...much less count on that little bitty bar to hold it up....now I certainly would not want to let it down from underneath....Some pieces of the puzzle are still laying around somewhere.
I can see it. Bumper jacks are only meant to raise. You are never supposed to get under a bumper jack alone. You need jack stands. If I had known there were notches on the bar, and a base missing, I might have gone along with it from the get go.

I knew you could never raise a tractor with that crank but its just to release the pawl and/or rewind the chain.

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
I want to apologize to everyone if it appears I'm trying to shove my theories down your throats. This is truly not the case. I'm simply having a problem accepting the device as a functioning jack. And here are my three main reasons why ...

1. Safety ... 99.9% of the jacks I've looked at all have a curved lip of some
type on the lift-arm for safely grabbing hold and not slipping off.

2. Strength ... Even if it had a base-plate, the item in question is flimsy at best.
Especially if raised to a working height. It would teeter like crazy!

3. Function ... No true leveraging/cranking capability. The rod handle can't possibly
turn in a full circle. It would hang up on the ratchet shaft pin half way through the
process. (Please study it closely on the next page).

[ Jacks shown are lightweight - Turn threaded and Hydraulic - Both have curved lips. ]

( The hydraulic one does not have a wheel on it - it simply pivots on the base when in use).

Attachments

• Jack - Hydraulic (2) (329x700).jpg
    Jack - Hydraulic (2) (329x700).jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 1,905
  • Jack - Threaded Turn Handle.jpg
    Jack - Threaded Turn Handle.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 3,332
Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
The only "What If" I can think of that makes the least bit of sense would be if the "entire outer housing" of the ratchet casing (where the red arrows are) completly turns. This might explain the flange feature (blue arrow) where the rod sits or is permanently attached to the housing. The flange would allow the rod to grab and turn.

But even if this is the case, the knobed end of the handle would hit the car bumper, tractor axle, or whatever the lift-foot was sitting under. :icon_scratch:

SBB

Attachments

• A What Is It Cropped Enlarged - with painted arrows.jpg
    A What Is It Cropped Enlarged - with painted arrows.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 638
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
SODABOTTLEBOB said:
1. Safety ... 99.9% of the jacks I've looked at all have a curved lip of some
type on the lift-arm for safely grabbing hold and not slipping off.
See picture below. I would say 80% The notches on the OPs item are for grabbing. (see above)

bumper jack.jpg

I accidentally removed my entire post. but I went back in time and found it:

Quote from: SODABOTTLEBOB on Today at 08:35:24 AM
The only "What If" I can think of that makes the least bit of sense would be if the "entire outer housing" of the ratchet casing (where the red arrows are) completly turns. This might explain the flange feature (blue arrow) where the rod sits or is permanently attached to the housing. The flange would allow the rod to grab and turn.

But even if this is the case, the knobed end of the handle would hit the car bumper, tractor axle, or whatever the lift-foot was sitting under.

SBB
Yes I agree it appears the entire casing must turn but I thought you pulled the chain to raise the jack. The crank is merely for rewinding the chain, I believe, or it may simply be to release the pawl.

Quote from: SODABOTTLEBOB on Today at 07:26:06 AM
2. Strength ... Even if it had a base-plate, the item in question is flimsy at best.
Especially if raised to a working height. It would teeter like crazy!

Yes I agree very flimsy. I wish we could see the base.

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Okay! ... I'll go with 80%

I wondered what happened ... how the heck did you "accidently" delete your post?

I may be the Lone Ranger here, but I guess I'm just stubborn. More than anything I want to accept the oldtimer's recollection, but I still feel there is something missing in this puzzle. As I said earlier; perhaps it's a "stand support" and was intended to be used "after" the tractor was jacked up.

Anyhoo ... I have presented my case the best I can as to it possibly "not" being a bumper/axel jack. So from this point forward my searches will focus on "What It Is" rather than "What It Isn't."

I'll be back if I find something conclusive. (Yeah, I know ... I've said this before).

Bob

:hello: [ Maybe it was for one of these ] :hello:

Attachments

• Tractor - Toy.jpg
    Tractor - Toy.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 617
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
SODABOTTLEBOB said:
I wondered what happened ... how the heck did you "accidently" delete your post?
When I modify, I delete the unnecessary parts to respond to a specific part of the post, like Im doing here and I apparently deleted way too much lol. It also doesnt help that Im multiple tasking... other things on my mind...

It doesnt help that the site is sometimes as slow as molasses!!

I agree the item has NOT been proven or properly explained but I am just saying that I can see it being a very flimsy bumper jack/weed chain jack of the chain pull type that deftone and texastee described..

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Lastly ...

( You just knew I'd be back - didn't ja? )

We're pretty much dead in the water until Ant or that Jesse guy can explain precisely how it functions! Which is entirely in their hands at this point. In the meantime, I'm goin' fishin'. :tongue3:

Later alligators!

SBB

:icon_thumleft: [ $20.00 profit goes to the poster with the 'correct' ad ] :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• Ad - Bumper Jack - 1950s.jpg
    Ad - Bumper Jack - 1950s.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 1,441
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ant

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
To me the jack works the same was as the well known bumper jack. Instead of using a tire iron to actuate the jacking lever it uses a chain. The wooden handle is used to release the jack or let the jack down. Some of you young guys may not know how an old bumper jack works.

I don't think it works like a chainfall hoist though...

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
texastee2007 ~

I'll pay you $20.00 for your find if you pay me $20.00 for mine! Lol :headbang:

[ This is me on my way to my favorite fishing hole ]

Attachments

• Ad - Bicycle - 1894 (500x482).jpg
    Ad - Bicycle - 1894 (500x482).jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,091