Bumper Jack, Barbwire Fence Stretcher???

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE

Attachments

• What is it.JPG
    What is it.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 1,734
OP
OP
Ant

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Hi all, thanks. Everybody that I know says it’s too light for a bumper jack too. But the old guy insists that it’s a tractor jack.

Quote from the older gentleman:
Trust me, it's an old tractor jack. I used one as a kid on the farm and the baseball field we maintained with an old tractor when I was older.

I can't argue with him, he said he used the exact same tractor jack.

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Ant said:
It's not mine, a friend of mine found it.
An old guy that I know says it's a tractor jack. The only thing that's legible on on it is HOO2

Thanks Tony

Ant ~

Thanks for clearing that up for us. :icon_scratch: But if you already knew what it was and accept the old guy's opinion, then why did you post this as a "What Is It?" asking others to research it? :dontknow:

SBB

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Ant said:
Hi all, thanks. Everybody that I know says it’s too light for a bumper jack too. But the old guy insists that it’s a tractor jack.

Trust me, it's an old tractor jack. I used one as a kid on the farm and the baseball field we maintained with an old tractor when I was older.

:icon_scratch: [ TRACTOR JACKS ] :icon_scratch:

Attachments

• Tractor Jack - Ford - Instruction Manual.jpg
    Tractor Jack - Ford - Instruction Manual.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,202
  • Tractor Jack - Hydraulic.jpg
    Tractor Jack - Hydraulic.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,043
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ant said:

The green checks make us all look good but I for one would like to see a link, matching pic or at least understand how it works. Does it just stick in the ground or a block of wood? Does the chain hook on top? It seems there must be something missing like a base for starters.

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
I acknowledge the green check mark ... and will let it go at that.

But just for the record, I would like to challenge the oldtimer's opinion about the item as being a "true" tractor jack. I also acknowledge the tractor he is referring to may have been a small one. But even with this said, someone would have to demonstrate to me how it worked before I will ever believe it had the capability of "lifting" from a dead-weight position. Maybe, just maybe the oldtimer meant it was some type of "support/jackstand" used to hold the tractor in place "after" it was jacked up. "Jackstand" I will accept! But true "Tractor Jack" - no way! At least not based on the evidence as it currently stands!

In fact, I will go so far as to say that the first person who can "prove" beyond a shadow of a doubt that it's a tractor jack, and explain "precisely" how it works, I will send them $20.00 cash, plus I will eat my hat ta'boot!

I'm not trying to be a jerk or wise guy here, I'm just not convinced it's a tractor jack, no matter what the popular opinion may be.

Final question to Ant : Have you tried to use it as a jack? If it still works - it should still jack something up weighing at least several hundred pounds.

Respectfully,

SBB

Attachments

• Half a green check mark.jpg
    Half a green check mark.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 1,042
  • Half a green check mark.jpg
    Half a green check mark.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 1,055
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
SODABOTTLEBOB said:
Final question to Ant : Have you tried to use it as a jack? If it still works - it should still jack something up weighing at least several hundred pounds.
It looks as if the pointed end would jack right into the ground if you were somehow able to crank the handle without breaking it or bending the handle. ::)

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
We need much more information on this item. Some more pics for starters. A closeup of the HOO2. How long is the chain? Does it wind up on the spool? Is that a ratchet? A close up of the spool is needed. Are there any notches on the shaft? Does it slide up and down easily or does it have to be cranked?

I looked back Ant and unless I missed it, it appears you havent answered any questions. :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Ant said:
A lot of people say a lot of things lol. That doesnt mean its fact.

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

No way is that a Jack for any vehicle....I have jacked up just about every type of vehicle, up to 70tons, that wouldn't lift a Toy Tractor :D

SS

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Nothing has been proven and a match has not been found. In reality, we dont even know how it works.

Upvote 0

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
texastee2007 There is an app for the smart phones where ya snap a picture of the item and it searches through out the Internet for a match of the item. Maybe some one would do that?

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
We know this much that the chain is wound up by means of a ratchet wheel and pawl. The chain is integral to the function of this item. No chain hook up, no worky.

The chain end hooks to something.

The pointed end may stick into the ground but thats just a guess. Something may be missing.

This may turn out to be one of the better all time "what is its" when we get more participation from the OP.

Upvote 0

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could it be for a big tent put the spike in the ground and attach the chain to the tent rope to tighten it?
Just a thought HH :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Broken knee said:
Could it be for a big tent put the spike in the ground and attach the chain to the tent rope to tighten it?
Just a thought HH :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee
This item is light duty. The part that looks like a bumper jack leg has some function I believe. Maybe its a foot pad to quickly take the slack out of the chain and then crank it to tighten. Adjustable circus tent stake sounds like a possibility because its so light duty. It would help to know where it was found.

Upvote 0

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would agree that there is no jacking envolved in that.Plainly see that foot pedal does not ratchet up or down,it does look to have a bolt so it can slide up & down for adjustment.Also think that foot part is used to drive in the ground maybe even to hold down on with the top hook part also.The chain might even be more for anchoring if needed to even hold back more.Because the winch part on the front looks like just that....made to winch something down tight to fasten or pull through.I've seen one like that somewhere not so sure ones not left in my granddads barn.That pasted away awhile back.But it's a couple hours away from here.But he farmed & had live stock so.All that said my best guess is what you have stated in your title barb wire stretcher/puller.Closes I could come up with but I've not looked much.
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:

Attachments

• 19156_A[1].jpg
    19156_A[1].jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 2,540
Upvote 0

mtntrekr2

Jul 15, 2007
berks county, pa.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 1000, Xterra-70 x3, Garret ace 250,
Looking at the picture it cannot be for lifting anything big. The handle goes around past the post and would hit whatever is on the foot.

Joe

Upvote 0

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
texastee2007 said:
we need some owner perticipation on the item...pictures, details....etc
Yea,theres alot of post like that lately. :icon_scratch: Nothing for size,no good pics,not answer question ETC. Makes it harder then it has to be.And should not wast time on them I guess. :icon_scratch:
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread