What's new

Bust Half 1838 with pics and updated... what is your Grade?

acute collector

Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
60
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
wisconsin
I got this Yesterday out of a Box. It looks as if it is F-12.
a rim bump on the reverse near the U in United.
it looks like a counter wheel was on the Obv.

Weakly struck

Pretty good for 50 cents
there were also a roll of BU 1963 Franklins in the box......

I put the coin and its holder on a scale and it came back at 15 grams.

you can see in the photo:
for VF 20
Obverse:
Over half of details in hair still show
Drapery and lower curls are worn but bold
Ear, clasp and curls are worn but plainly visible
Center stars are weak
Reverse:
Head and Leg are worn, but some feathers are visible
Most details in wings are clear but flat
Horizontal shield lines are flat but separated.

Everything looks good on the coin for VF 20
 

Attachments

  • 1838 Bust Rev..webp
    1838 Bust Rev..webp
    39.9 KB · Views: 684
  • 1838 Bust Obv..webp
    1838 Bust Obv..webp
    35.4 KB · Views: 697
Upvote 0
Re: Bust Half 1838 with pics

Something is up indeed.

No insult to you fellas, but either you are lieing about finding these in boxes... or someone is seeding these bad boys into brinks or something. The OP was sketchy enough with just the kind of coin found, feasible sure but still a wee bit sketchy.

Then the second guy with exact same coin.... hmmm lol

~Dave
 
Re: Bust Half 1838 with pics

BBcardsRI said:
The OP was sketchy enough with just the kind of coin found, feasible sure but still a wee bit sketchy.Then the second guy with exact same coin..
I am sure they both found their coins, but my suspicion was aroused because both very old coins were the same date. I think those coins were only minted for two years which throws up another red flag.

Ac gave us very good pics, I am sure thurmo can easily compare his coin with those.
 
Re: Bust Half 1838 with pics

I was suspicious too until Thurm gave him congrats too. Plus Thurm found his after he stopped publicly reporting his finds back in Feb. so you won't find a post about it. But do the coins appear genuine, proper weight, etc.?
 
Re: Bust Half 1838 with pics

thurmownator said:
Immy said:
I was suspicious too until Thurm gave him congrats too. Plus Thurm found his after he stopped publicly reporting his finds back in Feb. so you won't find a post about it. But do the coins appear genuine, proper weight, etc.?

I'll check tonight. BTW mine was found in a coin counting machine bag of halves from one of my branches; not a box. Time to get out the old triple beam.

Well, it's 30mm across like it's supposed to be, but how much weight would you think the lady would lose over the course of one hundred seventy (170 ) years ? The Red Book states, when freshly minted, it weighed 13.36 grams. Mine comes in at 12.82 grams. Normal loss from wear and tear ? You be the judge. Otherwise it looks genuine. (sorry, not photo enabled)
 
The mintage wasn't all that low for 1838. The survival rate on halves will be higher as it is my understanding halves were mostly used in bank to bank transactions in the early 1800s.

Weird yes. Impossible? no Why lie about it? Why waste the effort in making a common date coin? Then why spend them for face.

I would say it is more likely those were in collections that got stolen, and the bad guys spent them... then the tellers/depositor were stupid and didn't keep them.

If someone died and they throw a 170 year coin in for face value, then those people are stupid. :) I understand the people spending a 50-70 year old silver coin. I know a lot of people in their 50s that think a silver dime is worth couple times face. They just figure it isn't worth the trouble to try and sell it for silver. They don't collect coins so they just spend it.


I think it is crazy some of you are finding so many silver dimes and war nickels. I have found like 5 full silver rolls of halves in the last 3 months though. There is a lot of luck in this hobby. Volume helps a lot too.

-SWUSC
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom