What's new

Bust Half 1838 with pics and updated... what is your Grade?

acute collector

Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
60
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
wisconsin
I got this Yesterday out of a Box. It looks as if it is F-12.
a rim bump on the reverse near the U in United.
it looks like a counter wheel was on the Obv.

Weakly struck

Pretty good for 50 cents
there were also a roll of BU 1963 Franklins in the box......

I put the coin and its holder on a scale and it came back at 15 grams.

you can see in the photo:
for VF 20
Obverse:
Over half of details in hair still show
Drapery and lower curls are worn but bold
Ear, clasp and curls are worn but plainly visible
Center stars are weak
Reverse:
Head and Leg are worn, but some feathers are visible
Most details in wings are clear but flat
Horizontal shield lines are flat but separated.

Everything looks good on the coin for VF 20
 

Attachments

  • 1838 Bust Rev..webp
    1838 Bust Rev..webp
    39.9 KB · Views: 684
  • 1838 Bust Obv..webp
    1838 Bust Obv..webp
    35.4 KB · Views: 697
Upvote 0
Re: Bust Half 1838 with pics

All I can say is WOW!...Congratulations!
 
Re: Bust Half 1838 with pics

Thats just pure craziness! Who woulda thunk?
 
Re: Bust Half 1838 with pics

Great find !!!!

congrats !!

Hugh
 
Re: Bust Half 1838 with pics

LIBERTY..... beautiful coin.
 
Re: Bust Half 1838 with pics

Holy Moly!

Way to go- I haven't even found a Barber yet!
 
Re: Bust Half 1838 with pics

Way to go...

Congrats
Cat
 
Re: Bust Half 1838 with pics

Nice, where is my Barber?
 
Re: Bust Half 1838 with pics

No where is MY Barber????

Probably at the shop.

Cat
 
Re: Bust Half 1838 with pics

Awesome find!!! Congrats. That had to be so exciting to pull that from a roll. It amazes me that coins like this are still being found in rolls. Earlier in the week an gold coin......now this one.......totally awesome!!!

CONGRATS
 
Re: Bust Half 1838 with pics

Wowee!

HH
-GC
 
Re: Bust Half 1838 with pics

Excellent find there AC !

I found mine in March (yeah, the same date and mint).

Enjoy the rush.
 
Re: Bust Half 1838 with pics

Great catch no matter where you found it.
These are special,

They were made when coins were works of art.

Thom
 
Re: Bust Half 1838 with pics

Just plain sick. thats amazing
 
Re: Bust Half 1838 with pics

what is the approx value of that?
 
Re: Bust Half 1838 with pics

How many different rolls were those Frankies spread across?

They couldn't have all been from one roll can they?

~Dave
 
Re: Bust Half 1838 with pics

Thats not a Barber, thats a Capped Bust Half!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Re: Bust Half 1838 with pics

We know it is not a Barber but we have not even found a Barber yet let alone one of these. So where's my Barber????

HH
Cat
 
Re: Bust Half 1838 with pics

acute collector said:
Bust Half 1838
I got this Yesterday out of a Box. It looks as if it is F-12. a rim bump on the reverse near the U in United.
it looks like a counter wheel was on the Obv.

thurmownator said:
Excellent find there AC ! I found mine in March (yeah, the same date and mint).

Two 1838 halves from the same mint found in less than five months. I hope I am wrong but something smells.

thurmownater, does your coin have the same bump acute's coin has? Does the wear pattern look the same? Like I said I hope I am wrong but I am thinking "made in China"
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom