What's new

Butt Plate maybe???

Bhodge

Full Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2005
Messages
143
Reaction score
199
Golden Thread
0
Location
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this today in Virginia and I think it's a butt plate but I'm not sure since I've never seen one in person. What do you think? There's no writing or other identifying marks except what looks like a "0"
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457204411.837868.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457204386.067592.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457204400.436108.webp
 
Upvote 14
DEFINITELY a butt plate. I am not sure of the type of musket it was from though.
 
it looks like an 1861 Springfield plate but it definitely hasn't been in the ground very long.... Any reenactments in the area?
 
No reenactments. It's been buried a long time I believe.
 
No reenactments. It's been buried a long time I believe.
 
I found what I believe says CSA on it after a bit of cleaningImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457214207.794474.webp
 
I found what I believe says CSA on it after a bit of cleaningView attachment 1281832

SWEET! All the Better.
Those 3 letters we Relic hunters always look for.

I,m sure before long you will find out what kind of Rifle it's off of.

Being Brass it's "Likely" Period. A HUGE Let Down if a RE-make.
Def, not of the "Magpull " Variety ...LOL
 
Really cool find. What part of VA?
 
Absolute and for sure. Not a Springfield though. Those were iron. The Tower Enfield had a brass butt plate, as did many confederate arms.
 
It's a butt plate from a confederate Fayetteville rifle, great find!
 
Awesome, when I first looked at it, I was thinking Springfield which would be iron. That's why I was thinking it couldn't have been there long.... For some reason I didn't think brass when I saw it
 
That's a BEAUTY! Definitely period. Congrats......Hogge
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom