What's new

Button, 2 piece, with crown, is it military?

Almy

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
2,010
Reaction score
3,977
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
Found at New Brunswick, Canada, home and farm site where 1853 large US cent and 1861 New Brunswick penny was found. 5/8" diameter and 1/8" thick. Is it familiar to anyone?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0957.webp
    IMG_0957.webp
    103.5 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_0961.webp
    IMG_0961.webp
    140.6 KB · Views: 264
I see a crown and horn. Ironpatch is good with Canadian stuff.
 
Upvote 0
It appears to be a rifleman's button of sorts, but I can't find one like it. I will look more into it :read2: :icon_study:
 
Upvote 0
I would say military but more modern, so not really that interesting if you like the old stuff. I always like to find them though.
 
Upvote 0
This site was apparently occupied until late 1800s or early 1900s. A local 80-yr-old remembers his mother telling the name of the people who lived there. I also found a King George VI 1950 small cent there. So the possible age of the button is wide and a later rather than earlier date certainly is possible. Thanks for your help and do please keep looking. There are no good written records for the area and I am trying to get an idea of what kind of people were there and for how long.
 
Upvote 0
AcadienLoyalistMarco said:
This site was apparently occupied until late 1800s or early 1900s. A local 80-yr-old remembers his mother telling the name of the people who lived there. I also found a King George VI 1950 small cent there. So the possible age of the button is wide and a later rather than earlier date certainly is possible. Thanks for your help and do please keep looking. There are no good written records for the area and I am trying to get an idea of what kind of people were there and for how long.


The Crown I think looks more Victorian than anything else so that indicates a time line of the last half of the 19th century... which makes sense being a two piece button. If you hunt where there is Loyalist and early French settlements there's no question you have some killer stuff waiting to be found. That's why I downplayed this button a little, because you have much better to come.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom