What's new

Button 51

germansal

Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2013
Messages
55
Reaction score
178
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites Liberty II
Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Mine lab Safari
XP Orx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I found this button today around the area of Dudeldorf Germany and idea of where its from. IMG_0220.webpIMG_0222.webp
 
Upvote 2
French 51st Regiment/Infantry coat button from the period of the Napoleonic Wars button (1803-1815).
 
French 51st Regiment/Infantry coat button from the period of the Napoleonic Wars button (1803-1815).

French yes, but dates later.
 
IP, I'm not as certain but then again I don't have the books that would answer it for sure. The design pattern of this button which a two digit number surrounded by a circlet with tufted/flanged endings and a dot or pellet and its zenith in a die cast two piece copper alloy with a convex front/concave back and a birdcage style shank does date to the period of the napoleonic wars as I said above. However, very similar patterns also show up during the Crimean War period which would be more in tune with your assessment. Further research into maybe a makers mark on the concave back coupled with definitive evidence that tunic/coat buttons during the napoleonic war period could had had a convex front/concave back button rather than what I have seen so far as just flat buttons with similar circlet numbered fronts might nail it down to be precise. The plain style circlet on most of the dubbed "napoleonic wars" buttons I have seen is not as prevalent in the later period, again supporting your assessment. Regardless, the design pattern (and pretty damn close to exact pattern) dates to an earlier period whether this button was made then or not.
 
Just to clarify for the OP, this is the French 51st & not British.
 
IP, I'm not as certain but then again I don't have the books that would answer it for sure. The design pattern of this button which a two digit number surrounded by a circlet with tufted/flanged endings and a dot or pellet and its zenith in a die cast two piece copper alloy with a convex front/concave back and a birdcage style shank does date to the period of the napoleonic wars as I said above. However, very similar patterns also show up during the Crimean War period which would be more in tune with your assessment. Further research into maybe a makers mark on the concave back coupled with definitive evidence that tunic/coat buttons during the napoleonic war period could had had a convex front/concave back button rather than what I have seen so far as just flat buttons with similar circlet numbered fronts might nail it down to be precise. The plain style circlet on most of the dubbed "napoleonic wars" buttons I have seen is not as prevalent in the later period, again supporting your assessment. Regardless, the design pattern (and pretty damn close to exact pattern) dates to an earlier period whether this button was made then or not.


I've owned at least 100 of these for different units so would be pretty shocked if I'm wrong.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom