What's new

Button backmark help

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2007
Messages
2,243
Reaction score
391
Golden Thread
0
Location
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
I dug this Button this afternoon. I cant quite seem to read the backmark. EXTRA is there but the rest looks like "- - - - JONES & CO " Not enough room for ROBINSON.

Any ideas :dontknow: VPR

 

Attachments

  • IMG_7370_1_1.webp
    IMG_7370_1_1.webp
    34.8 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_7376_1_1.webp
    IMG_7376_1_1.webp
    36.5 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_7377_1_1.webp
    IMG_7377_1_1.webp
    39.4 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_7378_1_1.webp
    IMG_7378_1_1.webp
    33.9 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_7378_1_1.webp
    IMG_7378_1_1.webp
    33.9 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_7377_1_1.webp
    IMG_7377_1_1.webp
    39.4 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_7376_1_1.webp
    IMG_7376_1_1.webp
    36.5 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_7370_1_1.webp
    IMG_7370_1_1.webp
    34.8 KB · Views: 242
Could it be CUMNER JONES & CO. from 1890-1950.
 
Upvote 0
Hard one to say with the letters just not being clear enough, but see if if could be W.H. Jones & Co They made buttons including, military buttons 1835-1840 which seems to match the style of button's back side.

Don
 
Upvote 0
W.H. Jones & Co--1835-40.


Dang--You beat me to the punch Don. :P
 
Upvote 0
Don in SJ said:
Hard one to say with the letters just not being clear enough, but see if if could be W.H. Jones & Co They made buttons including, military buttons 1835-1840 which seems to match the style of button's back side.

Don


I think you are right. Before the word JONES, there is not room for more than a letter or two. I can also see the top of what looks like an "H". I think you nailed it!!
Thank You to every one for the help.

VPR
 
Upvote 0
By the way, that's a Fine little button. Have you considered using Aluminum Jelly on it?
 
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
By the way, that's a Fine little button. Have you considered using Aluminum Jelly on it?


I dont have any aluminum jelly. I need to get some :wink:

I was able to get it this far with brasso and a tooth brush. Almost all of the Gilt left on this button ;D


Thanks for the tip, VPR

P.S, Forgive the dirty hands :dontknow: I am taking a break from firewood.

 

Attachments

  • IMG_7396_1_1.webp
    IMG_7396_1_1.webp
    53.9 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_7393_1_1.webp
    IMG_7393_1_1.webp
    39 KB · Views: 161
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom