What's new

Button backmarks help

lisabell

Tenderfoot
Joined
Mar 6, 2012
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:help:
Hi am new to this site and the button thing, but it has been sooo much fun! Hours and hours to not find much of what I need. I have a button that has nothing on one side and a * crown * then it says treble * plated . the treble plated, circles around the bottom of the button and the crown is towards the top. Anybody have any clues for me?
I also have another one been told maybe it is foreign, can't quite tell the backmark. I have a picture of this one.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4592.webp
    IMG_4592.webp
    448 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_4593.webp
    IMG_4593.webp
    403.4 KB · Views: 369
lisabell said:
:help:
Hi am new to this site and the button thing, but it has been sooo much fun! Hours and hours to not find much of what I need. I have a button that has nothing on one side and a * crown * then it says treble * plated . the treble plated, circles around the bottom of the button and the crown is towards the top. Anybody have any clues for me?
I also have another one been told maybe it is foreign, can't quite tell the backmark. I have a picture of this one.
Welcome to the forum lisabell. Which button is pictured? The first button you describe sounds like an early 1800's British made button.

Can you read what the pictured button says? My guess is Czechoslovakian. http://www.gbbuttons.com/product/cs-czechoslovakia-police-brass-uniform-button
 
Upvote 0
I agree with BigCypressHunter about the identity of both of your buttons.

A few additional details beyond what he wrote:
Your first button is called a 1-piece brass "flat button." It was manufactured for usage on Civilian clothing, not Military ...although some did get used on uniforms. Your button's backmark (maker's-mark) saying "Treble Plated" with a crown dates it from approximately 1810 into the 1840s. On such buttons, the term "plated" meant it was silver-plated. The crown in the backmark denotes manufacture in Great Britain. Many such buttons were imported from there into the young United States, until American industry "caught up" with Britain's button-manufacturing capability in the 1830s.

Your second button looks much thicker than a typical 1810-1840s flat-button, so it may be from a much later time. Its backmark seems to be in a Mid-European language. We need to know what it says, as exactly as you can decipher it. Because of the Mid-European backmark (and other reasons), I am 100%-certain the CS on its front does not mean Confederate States. Other Mid-European buttons with simply the letters CS on the front are known to be from Czecko-Slovakia. That country did not exist until 1918.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom