Button, Buckle, Decoration? Large heavy brass button ID

gawngator

Sep 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi folks - I just found this site, and am already enjoying it very much. My father was a "picker" and amassed a lot of interesting things, so I
have a few items I could use help with, and I am also happy to help out if I can.

IMG_5652.JPG IMG_5648.JPG

This "button" appears to be filled with lead or solder on the back side. There is only one, and it is quite
large and heavy. I put a half dollar in there for scale.

Thanks!

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Saddle rosette or bridle hardware.....Horse related somehow!

Welcome to the forums, you'll enjoy it around here, that's how I ended up here. I asked a question, got hooked and stayed!

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeppers, horse tack rosette and a nice one! Breezie

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree with the prior posters... it is definitely a horse-harness rosette. You already know that now, so the basic ID isn't the reason for my reply. (Though I'll add that the design on it is strictly Civilian, not Military.) I figured your next question will ask for your rosette's time-period. Based on its construction (thin stamped sheet-brass front, back filled with a thick layer of solder, and a bracket-shaped brass bar to hold the leather harness-straps), yours dates from the 1840s through approximately the 1870s.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Let me humbly say, it's not smart-ness (meaning, a high IQ score). :) What you read in my posts is the result of having spent nearly 40 years digging and dealing metal-detected relics. The key was paying close attention. Also, reading the various relic-reference books (which I often mention in my posts. Again speaking with humility... anybody here is capable of doing what I did, and getting the same result. Having a high IQ is not a requirement.

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I forgot to mention in my other post, the 'face' of your rosette could be made from gutta-percha. Many of the Victorian bridle rosettes had metal (often lead) backs and frames, and the face was carved or cast gutta-percha. It's hard for me to tell without holding it in my hand, but you should be able to tell if the top is cast metal or not. Again, neat discovery, Breezie

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread