What's new

Button Expert Needed

Bigcypresshunter

Sapphire Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2004
Messages
27,124
Reaction score
3,351
Golden Thread
0
Location
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Are these CW buttons? Superior Quality backmark. I believe they are 1800's but I dont have any button books. Thanks.

button mississippi.webp
 
Albert's button book shows it as MP13 with an RV1 rating. So I would say they are post civil war. During the war they changed to a star.
 
Upvote 0
I found it. Its a Mississippi State Seal button.

What does RV1 mean?
 
Upvote 0
They were on eBay. 6 of these buttons in mint condition with paper backing sold for $9.99 about an hour ago.. I didnt bid. I believe they were authentic. The seller had other mint buttons that I believed were all authentic.
 
Upvote 0
hi bch... i see that those resemble the mississippi state seal button button, but the one pictured in my book has a larger, more pronounced lip around the outside of the button
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
I found it. Its a Mississippi State Seal button.

What does RV1 mean?
This is from Albert's book. The lower the number the lower the relative value.
 

Attachments

  • RV.webp
    RV.webp
    48.5 KB · Views: 277
Upvote 0
thanks I cant pull up the links because the sale is over but he had some other nice looking Scovill buttons for sale.
 
Upvote 0
I would say early 20th c.

Nice to see original card mounted stuff.
 
Upvote 0
Yeah early 1900's Miss state seal buttons. All civil war period Miss's have a star. The MVC's are still debated about as to whether it is Mobile volunteer corp or Mississippi volunteer corp. I think they started using the type of button posted in the 1870's or so.
 
Upvote 0
Actually there were 8 mint buttons for 9.99. I guess they werent worth much more. Ill mark it solved.
 
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • buttons BS.webp
    buttons BS.webp
    5.7 KB · Views: 243
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
I almost bought these. Same seller. You can tell these Scovills are authentic. Sold very cheap (one buck ea.).
Mark Parker says they are worth 100-125 bucks each! :dontknow: Is this true?
http://www.treasurenet.com/treasures/askmarkparker/200102.htm


http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...43471&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_fvi=1&_rdc=1

The last buttons appear to be Berkley school buttons, Berkley WV. I have dug some of them at one house site here in Virginia. Bummers... I would have liked a non-dug to go with my dug ones..

MB
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
MonkeyBoy said:
bigcypresshunter said:
I almost bought these. Same seller. You can tell these Scovills are authentic. Sold very cheap (one buck ea.).
Mark Parker says they are worth 100-125 bucks each! :dontknow: Is this true?
http://www.treasurenet.com/treasures/askmarkparker/200102.htm


http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...43471&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_fvi=1&_rdc=1

The last buttons appear to be Berkley school buttons, Berkley WV. I have dug some of them at one house site here in Virginia. Bummers... I would have liked a non-dug to go with my dug ones..

MB
I thought they were Bingham School buttons. :dontknow:Mark Parker of W & E Treasures says the value is $100-$125 each for the old script type but I didnt bid. ::) Im not sure who would pay this much. Maybe they are Berkley.
 

Attachments

  • bs button.webp
    bs button.webp
    57.6 KB · Views: 221
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
The button in the one auction were mid 1900's engineers buttons worth a buck or 2 each. I'm not sure what the BS buttons are for sure but they date no earlier that the 1880s' They have the Scovill mark with the capitol C and small o for company. They are probably worth no more than $5 or so each.
 
Upvote 0
vayank54 said:
The button in the one auction were mid 1900's engineers buttons worth a buck or 2 each. I'm not sure what the BS buttons are for sure but they date no earlier that the 1880s' They have the Scovill mark with the capitol C and small o for company. They are probably worth no more than $5 or so each.
Why does Mark Parker say its worth $100-$125? Is it not the same button as the 2 smaller script types?
 

Attachments

  • button scovill backmark.webp
    button scovill backmark.webp
    16.6 KB · Views: 133
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
vayank54 said:
The button in the one auction were mid 1900's engineers buttons worth a buck or 2 each. I'm not sure what the BS buttons are for sure but they date no earlier that the 1880s' They have the Scovill mark with the capitol C and small o for company. They are probably worth no more than $5 or so each.
Why does Mark Parker say its worth $100-$125? Is it not the same button as the 2 smaller script types
Do you mean the button with the script letters on the face or the cuffs in the auction? The buttons with the script letters on the face have a different type of scovill mark than the ones in the auction. The pic you show at the bottom is of a cuff. That backmark on the cuff can be civil war but can go into the late 1880's. The coat buttons in the auction are no earlier than 1880's no doubt. Also on the button you show of Marc Parker's he has the backmark SCOVILL MG CO. The Scovill mark with MG instead of MFG is always civil war or earlier. There are a ton of different Scovill marks and some are close but the stamped SCOVILL MFG marks with the capitol C and small o are always post civil war.
 
Upvote 0
By the way I am not that familiar with the button that Marc Parker has and it may well be worth the $100 to $125 for that particular style button.
 
Upvote 0
There are 2 cuff buttons in the auction written in script that in a quick glance appeared to match the button in Mark Parkers article. I guess I was mistaken. Its hard to see, your eyes are better than mine obviously. I think I see the difference now. (MG) The script may even be different. Thanks.
I wasnt sure so I didnt bid.
 

Attachments

  • button scovill backmark.webp
    button scovill backmark.webp
    16.6 KB · Views: 132
  • bs button mark parker.webp
    bs button mark parker.webp
    3 KB · Views: 127
  • button scovill backmark.webp
    button scovill backmark.webp
    16.6 KB · Views: 131
  • bs button ebay.webp
    bs button ebay.webp
    2.8 KB · Views: 142
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Replies
12
Views
1K
  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Pre civil war?
Replies
6
Views
579

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom