What's new

Button from France - WWII - or?

Marc

Silver Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2003
Messages
3,321
Reaction score
143
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
A friend recently found this in France..

The back side even has some thread still in it.

It appears to be copper or bronze, and has some weight to it.

Any ideas? It looks older than WWII to me. I haven't a clue what the graphic is (possibly a crown and RC?) or the age.
 

Attachments

  • button2.webp
    button2.webp
    100.8 KB · Views: 331
Looks like RC or CR at the Bottom

Other then That, I'll leave it to a Button Expert
 
Upvote 0
Yeah, I see a RC or CR with a crown above it and what looks like maybe a lion above that. :icon_scratch: But I couldn't match it it up.

I'd hit them up over at What Is It.
 
Upvote 0
Ah yes! I think I see a lion on top of a crown now too - the lyon facing left.... cool, that should make it a little easier.

It was found at the base of a hill, next to what appears to be a WWII bunker, but the hill also has a Church from the 1200's on it, and who knows what else. It's a promontory on the Med, so any era is possible.

My gut tells me 1700's but really, that's just a wild guess. I would say it was cast for sure.

Thanks!
 
Upvote 0
GR

George VI...
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
:hello:

Are those clasped hands, beneath the Crown Marc :icon_scratch:

SS
 
Upvote 0
I don't think so, maybe this image will help.
 

Attachments

  • button4.webp
    button4.webp
    67.3 KB · Views: 254
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
:hello:

Are those clasped hands, beneath the Crown Marc :icon_scratch:

SS
That was the first thing I thought of too SS when I saw it reminded me of another post. I dont think it is though. Could it be livery?
 
Upvote 0
Marc said:
I don't think so, maybe this image will help.
No I don't think they are :icon_scratch:...weird, I think what ever it is, will be the key to IDing the button, could'nt find anything on UKFD site in the Military Buttons or Public sector, I wonder if it could be some type of Livery Button :dontknow:

SS
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Silver Searcher said:
:hello:

Are those clasped hands, beneath the Crown Marc :icon_scratch:

SS
That was the first thing I thought of too SS when I saw it reminded me of another post. I dont think it is though. Could it be livery?
I think it could be....Cru might have seen it :dontknow:

SS
 
Upvote 0
When I look at the button's edge using that macro shot - boy - it sure looks like it COULD be 2 pieces. But what's up with the casting sprue (if that's what it is) on the back?
 
Upvote 0
We may want to consider a C small o monogram (for Company) like this unidentified NCo buckle.
Just thinking outside the box because I cant find a GR that looks like this one. :dontknow:
 

Attachments

  • buckle NC.webp
    buckle NC.webp
    85.1 KB · Views: 219
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
We may want to consider a C small o monogram (for Company) like this unidentified NCo buckle.
Just thinking outside the box because I cant find a GR that looks like this one. :dontknow:
This is the only Button so far I can find, that has the Lion on Crown image :help:

SS
 

Attachments

  • m1204.webp
    m1204.webp
    16.8 KB · Views: 250
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Timekiller said:
It's very much like the Royal Marines Button here
http://www.survivalaids.com/order1.php?pg=2292
Also alot like the Life Guards sevice button here
http://www.survivalaids.com/order1.php?pg=1134
I'm thinking maybe older maybe Royal Cypher :icon_scratch:
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
Theres an older Life Guards button in the link I posted earlier scroll down 4th row from bottom "Life Guards Regiment KC Kings Crown etc..." but it doesnt have the GR looking thing underneath either. It has a TLC monogram. http://silversimon.piczo.com/?g=41442429&vsrc=search_google&cr=2
 

Attachments

  • life guards.webp
    life guards.webp
    3.9 KB · Views: 191
Upvote 0
Hey - That's it!

Thanks guys - not sure about the date - but most likely a Life Guards Service button... after all, it was found a few hundred meters from the sea!

Thanks a bunch! :icon_thumleft:

Marc
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Ok, if someone finds an exact match, I'd love to know... Thanks! :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom