What's new

Button help,PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

worldtalker

Platinum Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
May 11, 2011
Messages
21,617
Reaction score
31,162
Golden Thread
0
Location
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Found this in N.H. this weekend with steeleheadwill,someone help?????????
 

Attachments

  • 091.webp
    091.webp
    123 KB · Views: 382
  • 092.webp
    092.webp
    112.9 KB · Views: 386
  • 091.webp
    091.webp
    123 KB · Views: 370
  • 092.webp
    092.webp
    112.9 KB · Views: 368
Coming up with dead ends on the V.A. Drawing a blank on what it could stand for. :icon_scratch:
Somebody will get it though. Not thinking well this morning. :laughing7:
 
Upvote 0
Alberts, Page 289, GO 43, Veterans Administration. I know the backmark dates it to the civil war period but I don't think it is that old. Hopefully, more knowledgeable folks will complete the story.
 
Upvote 0
fyrffytr1 said:
Alberts, Page 289, GO 43, Veterans Administration. I don't think this button dates to the time period for the backmark. Most likely the back was surplus and used later to make these buttons.
Makes since seems how the letters look so plain.I was thinking mabe US Department of Veterans Affairs V A Primary Care, Waterbury CT . :dontknow: Thanks fyrffytr1 :thumbsup:
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
 
Upvote 0
Timekiller said:
fyrffytr1 said:
Alberts, Page 289, GO 43, Veterans Administration. I don't think this button dates to the time period for the backmark. Most likely the back was surplus and used later to make these buttons.
Makes since seems how the letters look so plain.I was thinking mabe US Department of Veterans Affairs V A Primary Care, Waterbury CT . :dontknow: Thanks fyrffytr1 :thumbsup:
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
Pete,
After reading a little history on the VA it's possible the button is civil war period and I edited my reply to say that. I still think it is not that old.
 
Upvote 0
fyrffytr1 said:
Timekiller said:
fyrffytr1 said:
Alberts, Page 289, GO 43, Veterans Administration. I don't think this button dates to the time period for the backmark. Most likely the back was surplus and used later to make these buttons.
Makes since seems how the letters look so plain.I was thinking mabe US Department of Veterans Affairs V A Primary Care, Waterbury CT . :dontknow: Thanks fyrffytr1 :thumbsup:
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
Pete,
After reading a little history on the VA it's possible the button is civil war period and I edited my reply to say that. I still think it is not that old.
Gotcha,I guess I need to break down & buy one of those books.Just never have because the things I go after the book wouldn't be much help to me I figure.But I do like trying to help others so maybe in that respect it would come in handy.
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
 
Upvote 0
Looking at the backmarks in Tice's Dating Buttons book, I would go with 1880s-1900 style lettering size, the oblong O (CO.) matches the later date type.

Don
 
Upvote 0
Timekiller said:
I can tell ya this much so far. :wink: Give me a sec.
SCOVILL Mf''g Co. WATURBURY 1850-1865
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
http://pweb.netcom.com/~jimyce/bm.html
I hate that link with all the mistakes. They cant even spell Waterbury correctly.

Another of the many typos (red) on that link, the SCOVILL MF"G CO. WATERBURY backmark would have been used from 1850-1965. I have many Great Seal buttons with that backmark and letter font. It can however be dated by the ring of dots, name in groove, stars, etc.
 

Attachments

  • button scovill-marks-waterbury.webp
    button scovill-marks-waterbury.webp
    29.1 KB · Views: 317
  • button scovill-marks-waterbury.webp
    button scovill-marks-waterbury.webp
    29.1 KB · Views: 308
Upvote 0
It appears the "name in groove" type is considered CW era. So its the correct ID afterall for the backmark with all the mistakes. :D :icon_thumright: ;D Judging by the VA letter fonts, the button itself, however, may be later as was stated.

That link has its uses but keep in mind its very general and misleading.. It has errors, mispellings and misleading dates as that backmark "SCOVILL MF''G Co. WATERBURY" was used up til 1965. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,212590.0.html

Alberts is definitely the way to go but I dont have the book either.
 
Upvote 0
Timekiller said:
fyrffytr1 said:
Alberts, Page 289, GO 43, Veterans Administration. I don't think this button dates to the time period for the backmark. Most likely the back was surplus and used later to make these buttons.
Makes since seems how the letters look so plain.I was thinking mabe US Department of Veterans Affairs V A Primary Care, Waterbury CT . :dontknow: Thanks fyrffytr1 :thumbsup:
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
Very true. Scovills especially is very well known for using up old stock and/or dies on its buttons. I would imagine most companies did the same in wartime. I have a ton of WWI Great Seal buttons with 1800 backmarks. They continually show up here at TN. Scovills was in business up til about 1965 but I dont know when they finally used up all their older stock.

Great Seal buttons below:
 

Attachments

  • buttons great seal backmark.webp
    buttons great seal backmark.webp
    28.6 KB · Views: 297
  • button scovill ring of dots no stars.webp
    button scovill ring of dots no stars.webp
    78.5 KB · Views: 291
  • buttons great seal backmark.webp
    buttons great seal backmark.webp
    28.6 KB · Views: 295
Upvote 0
Glad ya Got a keeper!! :hello2:
Veterans Affairs or Administration is my guess.
When WT first showed me I thought it may have been Vermont Artillery ;D
We scored a few finds while you were down, (up? :tongue3: )
Next time maybe the jackpot :wink:
 
Upvote 0
steelheadwill said:
Glad ya Got a keeper!! :hello2:
Veterans Affairs or Administration is my guess.
When WT first showed me I thought it may have been Vermont Artillery ;D
We scored a few finds while you were down, (up? :tongue3: )
Next time maybe the jackpot :wink:
Herbie, Next time is here,and we will!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Upvote 0
Just curious, was there a Virginia Militia that took part in the CW, and if so did they have their own buttons?
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom