What's new

Button ID Needed

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
12,783
Reaction score
143
Golden Thread
0
Location
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's another item I received from a trade deal recently. I look at them and think civilian dress, but there is always a possibility being Military. These buttons scream silver. I may be wrong, but I usually have a good eye for it. They are very interesting. A man and a woman with a snake coming off the helmet .

If anyone has an idea, please chime in.
Sorry about the poor shots, but all my camera equipment is packed away right now. There are no makers marks on the backs. The backs resemble a Tombac style buutton.
 

Attachments

  • PICT0001.webp
    PICT0001.webp
    35.3 KB · Views: 270
  • PICT0002.webp
    PICT0002.webp
    37.2 KB · Views: 252
  • PICT0003.webp
    PICT0003.webp
    18.4 KB · Views: 259
Found a few links to your button while looking for a different button :

http://www.buttoncrs.com/images/archive1/londonbadge11862.jpg (#81, second row from bottom; from the London Badge & Button Company Ltd)

http://www.lbblondon.com/LBB_Classic_All_Buttons.html (#215, lists it under "non-military")

Both state it as a "Mars and Minerva" button.

The only reference to any military unit, using Mars and Minerva, is to the Artists Rifles ... an 1859 volunteer regiment of the British Army; now, the 21 Special Air Service Regiment (Artists) (Reserve) :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artists_Rifles

http://artistsriflesassociation.org/roll-of-honour-artists-rifles.htm

I can't definitively tie it in with that regiment; however, I find nothing that stated (absolutely certain) it's a civilian button (other than that one link). Hope it can lead you to a positive ID !
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom