What's new

Button ID please !

Bruce Ct

Jr. Member
Joined
May 7, 2009
Messages
41
Reaction score
18
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE w/ pro coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this button in a wooded area in central Ct. I've found a few coins in the area incl a large cent and an 1853 silver 3 center.
The "star" appears to be made of long leaves. If you look close you can see the feathered edges.
In between the points it looks like oak leaves protruding from the outer edges.
The construction is two-piece like a military button but the face is flat instead of domed. Markings on the back are "extra rich" but I can't really make out the manufacturers name till I clean it more.
The button was actually sitting on top of the soil when I pushed away the heavy leaf cover.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Bruce Ct
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0746.webp
    DSCN0746.webp
    70.4 KB · Views: 259
  • DSCN0747.webp
    DSCN0747.webp
    39.8 KB · Views: 266
Welcome to Tnet. Your button is an 1830's-40's civilian button. We've always put that type in a flower button category. The backmark will probably be Robinson or Benedict & Burnham. I've seen those buttons listed as Texas buttons but know of nothing to prove it. I believe the people who had them listed as that were either mistaken or trying to make a quick buck. If anyone knows differently I would be glad to know.
 
Upvote 0
Try soaking in some diet coke and then a run with a Q-tip and a toothpick on the back. I think it will be something like "Extra Rich" and maybe London. If you can get more of the front clean - once you are confident with cleaning - it may tell us more.

Dryl
 
Upvote 0
VaYank, :thumbsup: on the ID! Nice find, Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for the feedback folks - and for the ID VaYank !
Bruce Ct
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Buckleboy's post is good. Here's a couple pics of a nondug one like yours that I have. I may have made a mistake on the backmark. Mine is backmarked Extra Rich Superfine with WW between the words. One w on each side of the button WW stands for Wadham & Webster which would date the button from 1838 to 1846
 

Attachments

  • ww flower.webp
    ww flower.webp
    13 KB · Views: 488
  • ww flower2.webp
    ww flower2.webp
    7.6 KB · Views: 484
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom