What's new

Button ID please...

stringfrenzy

Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
471
Reaction score
439
Golden Thread
0
Location
NW OH
Detector(s) used
Deus CTX Excalibur II E-Trac White's DFX Garrett Ultra GTAx 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello. Hoping to ID this button that was found at an 1800's house at a depth of 6" or so not far from where I had found a civil war storecard in August. When I showed the button to a friend he had ID'd it as a civil war musicians button stating that he had dug one a couple years ago and that it had been ID'd here on Tnet as a civil war musicians button. Most people have agreed that the button is a civil war button in very nice condition but a couple of people have questioned it saying that this button is also used on high school band uniforms. Noone can seem to recall this type of button ever being on the local high school band uniforms here.

The first photo is the button that was recovered the other day while the second photo is the button that was ID'd on Tnet 2 years ago as being a civil war musicians button. Any ideas??? Thanks in advance.
 

Attachments

  • FB.webp
    FB.webp
    38.5 KB · Views: 829
  • FB.webp
    FB.webp
    38.5 KB · Views: 655
  • button 1-3-09 Terrys.webp
    button 1-3-09 Terrys.webp
    21.9 KB · Views: 629
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I always thought most all 4 string Lyre buttons were 1870 to present.

Bill
 
Upvote 0
The key to dating this button will be the back marks. If I recall Bigcypress has a data base of back marks so he should chime in soon. I'm not smart enough to figure that part out on my own. But it is a band / musicians button.

Mike
USAF Retired
 
Upvote 0
Both of them are Musician buttons. But, absolutely definitely, neither one of them is civil war era, despite whatever may have been said two years ago here at TreasureNet. Note that the lettering in their "Superior Quality" backmarks is plain-block font. Every civil war era "Superior Quality" backmark has serifs on the letters.

By the way, Musician buttons have always been almost entirely Civilian-usage, not Military-usage. To see proof of that statement, check antique photos of Military musician uniforms. (It's easy to do with a Google-search.)
 
Upvote 0
Is there possibly a way to date the top button or get a general date based on the backmark? I don't have any button reference books that would do this. Can anyone date the button or does anyone know of a link with the information I'm looking for? Thanks.
 
Upvote 0
Actually, I don't see it on there, sorry. Couldnt find a good Google link either that would tell me the range of years that was made. Cannonball guy or iron patch should know.
 
Upvote 0
Still trying to find an approximate date range on the top button if anyone can date it it would be appreciated. Thanks.
 
Upvote 0
I think they would both be post TOC (post turn of the century) because, as CBG noted, the lettering has no serifs.

The backmark list that I have accumulated applies only to post 1902 Great Seal buttons however the backmarks may be listed. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,212590.msg2872340.html#msg2872340

These are both generic backmarks that are still used today and the lyre button is still made today so late 1800's-post TOC is possibly the closest you can get to dating these buttons.

Mistakes are made. I would like to find the old TN thread to correct it but I cant find the old thread or any mistakes. The backmark was used in the CW period but its dated by other means such as serifs and dots. Maybe I caused the confusion. :dontknow: Vayank says the CW period backmark did not have stars.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,231146.0.html

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,327555.0.html
 

Attachments

  • Serif_and_sans-serif_03_svg.webp
    Serif_and_sans-serif_03_svg.webp
    2.6 KB · Views: 785
  • Serif_and_sans-serif_03_svg.webp
    Serif_and_sans-serif_03_svg.webp
    2.6 KB · Views: 784
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Thanks very much for your help. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom